Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my new motor

Default my new motor

I now have a 12 cylinder 36 valve cummins in my dodge It is the new motor for my 715. now I need to find a 3053a tranny to mount to it. Has anybody done this yet, I have read lots about it but I can't find what I need to mate the two.

Last edited by Binford; December 8th, 2007 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Reduced picture size

Holy huge picture Batman! You are going to have one heck of a driveline!
    "We are here for the meeting!"

sorry about the size of the pic, I didn't know it would be that big

Its a standard sae bell,I wouldn't think it would be too hard to match up. If you can't find a trans near you, I be I can get one for ya.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Is that a typo, . . 12 cylinders and 36 valves????, ..tell me you meant a 24 valve? I am trying to picture 12 cylinders in a M715, . . . sounds like a great plan though

I agree is that thing going to fit with out using a shoe horn and putting the firewall 2 inches from the front seat... ?
    Zone holster maker

This is the same set-up i am going to run. You will need a SAE #3 bellhousing and as far as i know a clutch set-up from a F-750 will work as well. Here is a link of a guy that put a 3053a behind his cummins in his 1 ton dodge truck.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...t=92060&page=2

Here is another link from JP magazine of them installing a 3053a in a 715 behind a SBC, they also have most of the part numbers from NAPA that you will need.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...ion/index.html

This guy has 3053a's that are take out's for $350. He can also get you a flywheel and clutches. He will assist on shipping as well. jepcolwell@aol.com

Good luck and let me know how it goes, i purchased a 96 6bt a few months ago for mine and have found a guy very close to my house that recently won a GL auction with many 3053a's in it. I am waiting to see if the tranny's he has won are any good. A guy buy the name of SPICERGEAR over on SteelSoldiers has a BBC with a 3053a behind it in a 715 and a guy by the name of M35-TOM on SS is making taller overdrive gearsets for the 3053A, but they are pricey. Around $1,200 for a set.

Quote Originally Posted by moosejr View Post
    Is that a typo, . . 12 cylinders and 36 valves????, ..tell me you meant a 24 valve? I am trying to picture 12 cylinders in a M715, . . . sounds like a great plan though
    I was talking about the dodge. The 24 valve in the front and the 12 valve on the back. The 12 valve is out of a '95 and is the new engine for my 715.

Quote Originally Posted by gun512 View Post
    This is the same set-up i am going to run. You will need a SAE #3 bellhousing and as far as i know a clutch set-up from a F-750 will work as well. Here is a link of a guy that put a 3053a behind his cummins in his 1 ton dodge truck.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...t=92060&page=2

Here is another link from JP magazine of them installing a 3053a in a 715 behind a SBC, they also have most of the part numbers from NAPA that you will need.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...ion/index.html

This guy has 3053a's that are take out's for $350. He can also get you a flywheel and clutches. He will assist on shipping as well. jepcolwell@aol.com
    Thanks for the links gun512. I guess I also need to look for a larger flywheel and clutch. Or a wrecked big ford or FL70.

A guy on TDR said he has seen several 3053 torn apart by hopped up 5.9s. Anybody else heard of this? I don't plan on going to wild with the 5.9 maybe a #10 plate, but I would like to know this trans will hold up if I do turn the cummins up.