Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Know How to Test a Pertronix?

Default Anyone Know How to Test a Pertronix?

I took a last pre-snow drive the other day, and on the way back to the house, the truck started sputtering and quit, all in the space of about 100 yds. At night. In a cold drizzling rain. Good fun.

It cranked fine, was getting fuel normally, but it would not run, just popping some when I tried to start it.

This echoes what I remember when the ignition module on my ‘77 M886 failed: the truck was running fine one minute, dead the next, and would not run at all until I replaced that module.

So, I’m wondering how to test this Pertronix— I gotta get this thing off my lawn where the tow truck left it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When mine died in my CJ3B from leaving the ignition turned on with engine not running. It acted similar with the missing and cutting out, but it stopped dead after that. Not sputtering or firing at all.

I have tested the Pertronix module in my truck using this method, pretty easy.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/.../#post-3936355
    Last edited by jeepdan; October 12th, 2019 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    When mine died in my CJ3B from leaving the ignition turned on with engine not running. It acted similar with the missing and cutting out, but it stopped dead after that. Not sputtering or firing at all.

I have tested the Pertronix module in my truck using this method, pretty easy.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/.../#post-3936355

Thank you Dan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check the coil as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    Check the coil as well.
    And if it is chrome in color rather than kinda gold, it may be of Chinese manufacture. One of those buggers gave me a fit and the problem was cured by installing a used "military" coil.

Just a thought...

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas.

We converted mine to 12V, so I have no idea what type of coil is in there. I do know it wasn't abnormally hot at the time of failure like I've heard happens when a coil shorts out.

Bad news.

Tested the coil (3.1 ohms primary, 6K secondary), installed the new Pertronix module-- nothing.

I noticed that while cranking on a 45-degree day, there was no oil pressure indicated when normally there would be. I took the distributor cap off, twisted the rotor, and got about 90 degrees of slack in it. My girlfriend then cranked the engine and the rotor was not turning.

Something big let go in there.

Shame because that was a good running engine.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    Bad news.

Tested the coil ...
    Any ideas?
    Hopefully, only the "tab" broke off of the distributor shaft. Maybe, the bearing in the distributor got tight due to a lack of lubrication and locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    Hopefully, only the "tab" broke off of the distributor shaft. Maybe, the bearing in the distributor got tight due to a lack of lubrication and locked up.

Does the distributor drive the oil pump, Don?

The distributor has a flat blade screw driver type tip on the end which fits in a slot on the oil pump drive gear...so basically both are driven off that worm gear...pic:
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!