Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: teking : "Redye" canvas top

Default k8icu :

Re: "Redie" canvas top
    Post by k8icu on Aug 7, 2006, 8:36pm

I would think that you would need to thin the paint with the miniral spirits (paint thinner) first to get it translucent. I.e green colored miniral spirits then mix the ratio of wax. But with that said wouldn't it be easier to just color the canvac? Get a gall of that and and a few drops of OD paint to it and away you go....

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Aug 7, 2006, 8:38pm

Oh and not to be picky as I'm the worlds worst speller... but shouldn't it be redye instead of redie as to die again....isn't once enough and wouldn't the estate tax be a killer if you died twice?...

Default devildog :

Post by devildog on Aug 7, 2006, 8:58pm

How about going to a candle making place and buy some coloring used for candles. This should disolve into the solvent of the canvac. May have to experiment with the color.

Blog Entries

Default teking :

Re: "Redye" canvas top
    Post by teking on Aug 8, 2006, 6:57am

Quote:
    I would think that you would need to thin the paint with the miniral spirits (paint thinner) first to get it translucent. I.e green colored miniral spirits then mix the ratio of wax. But with that said wouldn't it be easier to just color the canvac? Get a gall of that and and a few drops of OD paint to it and away you go....

That was the idea I posed originally in my thread. The intent is to put paint in the Canvak.

Quote:

So ... I called the Canvak manufacturer (BUCKEYE FABRIC FINISHING COMPANY). They said they nolonger make the OD Canvak. Bummer. But they DID SAY the following ...

They said all Canvak is is mineral spirits and WAX!!! When the spirits evaporate it leaves wax (thus water proof). I was instructed that all I have to do to put the color back in my top is add PAINT!! I said, like the body paint that I have that is Olive Drab color from Gillespe? They said YEP!!!! When the preservative (mineral spirits) dries it will leave paint and wax!

Anyone ever heard of such a thing? I have a call into Beachwood to confirm.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Aug 9, 2006, 6:38am

The question becomes then how much paint is needed to a gallon of Canvak and do you need to thin the paint first? Keep us posted on how it works. Do you have some scrap canvas to try it on first so if you don't get a good mix your not messing up your top? Pics would be nice too....

Blog Entries

Default teking :

Post by teking on Aug 9, 2006, 6:52am

Quote:
    The question becomes then how much paint is needed to a gallon of Canvak and do you need to thin the paint first? Keep us posted on how it works. Do you have some scrap canvas to try it on first so if you don't get a good mix your not messing up your top? Pics would be nice too....

Doesn't need to be thinned first. Thats what they were telling me ... the paint can be mixed directlywith the Canvak because it is mineral spirits based. Don't need to worry about messing up my top because I already did that. I had mildew on my top and tried to clean it. The canvas cleaner I used took the dye out of the top.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Aug 9, 2006, 12:53pm

If the Canvak itself is mineral spirits with paraffin in it, the paint ought to be thinned by the mineral spirits, eh?

Rats, I had my old faded seat covers you could have used to test some different concentrations of paint on, but I tossed 'em.

Default thetroublemaster :

Post by thetroublemaster on Aug 9, 2006, 4:04pm

I have a gallon of clear canvak at home. I could check to see what the base is. It sure works well!!

al.

Blog Entries

Default teking :

Post by teking on Aug 9, 2006, 4:50pm

Quote:
    I have a gallon of clear canvak at home. I could check to see what the base is. It sure works well!!

al.

yeah I already have a couple myself. The manufacturer told me directly that the product was mineral spirits and wax.

Default damule :

Post by damule on Aug 9, 2006, 7:01pm

hey ,
    I am not an x pert on restoring canvas but I do know of a place that I send my deer hides to. They turn them into leather, then die them to the color I want. Maybe they would know something about the chemicals that it would take to solve your prob.
    Just a thought.