Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: maddawg308 : Flying lock rings off the rims

Default luckypabst :

Re: Flying lock rings off the rims
    Post by luckypabst on Aug 10, 2006, 2:11pm

There's quite a bit of good info about mounting a two-piece wheel on the web. Most of it deals with large commercial type wheels of which many have a 3 piece design and the general gov't based information all recommends cages and remote fill devices.

A quote from one website:
    "This is a safe procedure if done carefully! I have never seen an injury due to a separating split rim off a light vehicle rim. Big Rig wheels are a different format and it is these that cause concern."

http://www.4wdonline.com/Wheels/Split.html

A couple other interesting links:
    http://www.worksafe.wa.gov.au/newsit...t19970013.html

and

http://www.tireindustry.org/pdf/osha_Demount-Mount.pdf

Obviously there is danger involved. But if you actually get in there to do the job, you'll see that the design of our M715 wheels is quite safe compared to other types of split ring commercial wheels.

Changing a tube on your own is a very good practice to get into if you drive your truck any measureable distance or take it to remote areas. It only takes one flat more than the number of spares you carry to effectively screw you. You won't have the luxury of shopping around for the best size and price or even finding a shop to do the work in some places. If you can make contact, the off-road tow service in the Eastern Sierra starts at about 800 bucks if you're close to pavement. Some people have reported 3x that if they're way far back.

There has even been an incident of some wacko environmentalist hiding a spike strip in a lightly used, very remote desert roadway. In that situation, I'd be very glad for 2-piece wheels and a box of spare tubes. The people that "found" the booby trap were very lucky to say the least.

Chris

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Aug 10, 2006, 2:35pm

The XL sidewall IS NOt against the rim. I posted pictures on the old board and I will post them when I get home. The XL is designed to go on rims similiar to the split rim. The mounting surface is slightly larger than the tube tires I took off.

I used a slide hammer to remove my tires that were on for over 20 years. I wen tto the motor pool on base and they let me use any tool I wanted to. Had all four off in less than 40 minutes.

Default fredrader :

Post by fredrader on Aug 10, 2006, 5:01pm

There is 2 major truck stops near me a Pilot with a tire shop and a TA with a shop and they both do split rims as will any truck stop in the country since there are lots of split rims still in service over the road..They will dismount the wheel/tire from the truck break it down replace the tube,flap and tire and remount the tire on the wheel and put it back on your truck for $25-$35 each if you supply all the parts..The Pilot shop closest to me charges $25 and the TA charges $35..I took my M35 to them and had 8 tires changed and it cost $200 and took about 2 - 3 hours with 3 guys swinging hammers and cussing (A LOT OF CUSSING)..

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Aug 10, 2006, 6:00pm

I took the first tire to a pro who showed me how to use the duck-billed hammer and tire irons to remove the ring. Took him less than 2 minutes to break down the first tire and I am sure it had been mounted for at least 20 years. Took me and my BIL almost an hour to break down the other 3. LOL

We put them back together ourselves without any problems. We used the space between the concrete floor and early bronco for ad hoc tire cage.

The M715 wheel is technically a lock-ring wheel and not a split-rim wheel. As mentioned before the lock-ring design is a better than a true split-rim.

Default dj :

Post by dj on Aug 10, 2006, 9:09pm

It is illegal for tire shops to service split rims. Lock ring rims are not. As a former owner of a trucking company I've changed many lock ring wheels,without incident. You must be careful,clean the wheel and ring good,and use a locking chuck and tire lube to prevent further rust. Like all things common sense and caution are required for a proper and safe job.

Default fredrader :

Post by fredrader on Aug 10, 2006, 10:24pm

It's not illegal for a truck tire shop to service split rims...Duh..Call any truck stop..We have our 2 1/2 ton M35 tires and wheels done any time we need to.I can give you 3 different places within 25mi from me that does split rims..2 truck stops and 1 goodyear dealer in eaton ohio and that is just the ones we have used who knows how many more are local that we havent used.....

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Aug 11, 2006, 7:28am

Before everyone goes flying off, make sure of your terminology. There are at least three major designs of "multi-piece" rims out there and probably some of us are all thinking about different ones. Split ring, split rim, and the old two piece rims are all different but do have some of the same dangers. Typically they are all lumped in under the name of "split rim" these days.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Aug 11, 2006, 9:25am

Quote:
    The XL sidewall IS NOt against the rim. I posted pictures on the old board and I will post them when I get home. The XL is designed to go on rims similiar to the split rim. The mounting surface is slightly larger than the tube tires I took off.

Porky's right, Bob.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Aug 11, 2006, 11:58am

My truck is about 4 feet from me as I type this. The XZL is seated against the lock ring just like it would be against a fixed one peice rim.

PC posted pictures in the thread he referred to showing how the Michelin mounts up on our rims. I think the pictures were on page 3 of the 5 page thread.

Default sermis :

Post by sermis on Aug 11, 2006, 9:12pm

Never, Never, Never stand over the tire while airing it up.

If nothing else attache the hose with it on the floor ring up and stand back, that way you can see how high it goes. 40 years around them and never had one come off on me but have seen others that have had them come off. Go slow, be careful, clean it and no problems. I really don't think they are that bad if you are careful. 2 piece rings I don't like. I have had tubless tires come of while mounting them, oops I was using starting fluid to seat the bead, my fault.
    As to the redneck removel. High lift, tire sledge, bead breaker, and a tractor with bucket and still could not get them to give up. Sawsall, thats the tool. To my supprise the rims were not rusted that much.