Thread: It's Alive

Default It's Alive

Today was good,I got the beast to run,just for a few moments there ,I thought it was locked up sold,just needed a stronger battery(1 would charge good the other was so-so)checked the plugs(no oil) switched on the ignigtion switch,heard the ole sound of an electric fuelpump (dang) dirt dobber nest and fueled it up,with the new battery in,I hit the starter button and with a few backfires it came to life!With high hopes I pushed in the clutch and into first gear,letting off it made it's first move under it's own power,a few trips around the field and it was running smooth as a new one,like at a county fair my kids rode a turn with me as the happy wife took some shots of my Christmas present to myself(well she was happy it was running so I could go inside)!Now for it to stop on it;s own,MMMM,well just another excuse to go outside ,right?

Very cool, congrats. There's alot of difference in one that runs and one that doesn't.

The much maligned 230 tornado is a motor with the amazing ability to hibernate for months or years and come back to life with the application of a little electricity and fresh fuel.

new word on the beast,the oh so famed holley 1 bbl.got me today,I should have known better but what the hay! So happy yesterday that I was to have a good day today of riding the fields and testing the rest of the truck was shot down by a nasty
    leaking carb.(when I mean leaking I mean leaking)! As I began to try and restart the truck mid morning,it would try and start but just would'nt, so checking the clear fuel filter, I saw what could be the problem. After cleaning out the carb. and trying again and hours of fustration,I pulled the plugs for the 5th time to discover that not only was it flooding out in was drowning in fuel,the no.5 & 6 cly.were slam full of fuel,and probably been like that the whole time I was trying to crank it.Now the holley is in many of little chunks and the electric fuel pump is gone,tomorrow is another day and a new carb and mech.pump shall I have to get!Just remeber if you use a electrical pump please put a regulator on in also!The whole time the electric pump was keeping up pressure on the carb,which carbs. can only stand 3lbs.4 max. from that set up but hey it run so good yesterday but still me and holleys are not the best of friends,one good thing though,very little trash is making it's way to the filter from the tank,thats some good news at least!
    Last edited by Usmcscout; December 25th, 2008 at 06:24 PM.

Sounds like you better change your oil and filter now also...

Yeap,done all that today!