Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24 volt Generator

N. Liberty Iowa- 41deg 44' 48" N, 91deg 36' 36.4" W

Question 24 volt Generator

One of the last items I need to tackle before I have a really drivable truck is the electrical system. Some were in history a previous owner "converted it to 12 volt" by switching to a 12 volt alternator and taking out one battery.
    I would like to return the truck to 24 volt. I've been looking around and debating how to go about this, while being my cheap arse self. Finally my dad pipes up "Ya know, I still have the 24 volt 100 amp generator I picked up from surplus." (My dad worked as an engineer at Collins radio and Rockwell Collins for years. When he refers to surplus he means the stuff Collin's was getting rid of.) Apparently Collin's used to assemble and install radio units in the trucks for the army. One part of the installation was upgrading to the 100 amp generator. The contract was completed and there were some generators left over, these generators were sold through the company surplus for "very reasonable" prices. So I started digging around the shed until I saw some olive drab and what I have found is a unit that looks exactly like the one pictured here.
    Quote Originally Posted by fwdstuck View Post
    Here is the generator:

But I would need to acquire a regulator and rectifier to use it. I am hoping for some insight as to the availability of said components, or possible alternatives.
    M-715's as big as FSJ's come

Yep you will need the regulator to use it. Plus the cables to connect everything. There are some trucks here that were commo trucks in their military life and a few might have the VR that isn't being used because they have been changed to 12V or converted back to the altinator. Maybe someone will say...hey I've got that and you can work a deal.
    Zone holster maker

Put a notice in the wanted forumn to see if anyone has a used reg an or rectifier and the cables for it all. You can see al the parts related to this in the parts manual click on the manuals header top of page
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

I'm getting ready to pull my 230 out of my truck so I don't have use for any 24 volt stuff. Now that I think about it though I seem to remember seeing that a previous owner replaced the original generator with some altinator that looked like a chevy unit. As long as what you need isn't attached to the original generator then I should be able to help you out, just tell me what to look for and where it's at, I'm going to head to my Pop's house (where the truck sits) on Sunday so I can pull it all for you then and ship sometime next week if you want me to.

The picture above looks like a 25amp 24volt generator used in earlier M series trucks/jeeps. Like K8icu said, you will need a 24v 25amp regulator. Since this is a generator, no rectifier is needed. It puts out 25 amps compaired the the later 24volt alternators that put out 60 amps.

He meant that pic as a guide I think. If you use the actuall 100 amp unit it does need a rectifier assy as well as the regulator, an also a 4th belt. The rectfier assy is mounted in the grille panel which requires cutting that panel out. Its all pictured in the parts an maint tm's.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

The picture I found and copied into my thread starter post was meant as a reference. But the unit I found looks identical, from the out side, to the one pictured. It doesn't look like the one pictured in my M715/725/726 maintenance books. Unfortunately some were in the last 25(?) years that this generator has been "rolling around" out at my dads the data plate was lost. My dad is positive that there was a data plate on it when he picked it up. And that the plate specified it as a 100 amp unit. Then again... memories of 25 some years ago do some times get fuzzy. I will spend some time looking through the clutter were I found it to try and find the missing data plate. If I am unsuccessful can any one tell me if that case style come with any other out-put ratings other than 25 amp? If so, is there any other way I can I.D. this things out put?
    My truck actually came with the cut out in the grill for the rectifier. The grill also came with some interesting cutting torch "modifications" from the second to last previous owner to me. The guy I bought it from already had a replacement grill ready to go. Not thinking that I would ever need the rectifier cut out, I replaced the damaged grill awhile ago. But I still have the original to use as a pattern, and to supply the bracing or reinforcing straps that are added after the cut out is made.

I looked for the data plate this evening but didn't locate it. But I looked the generator over a bit better and found GHA-53A cast on to the pulley side cover plate. Would the 53A part of that I.D. this as a 53 amp unit?

No the generator was only a 25 amp output, and used an external regulator. The alternator had 60 amps an an internal regulator. The generator was developed in the late 40's and was replaced by the alternator in 1967, so the 715's came w the new alternator. The mounting of both types is the same so they can be mounted in any mv however if you use a gen where there had been an alt or vice versa some wiring changes are needed. At only 25 amps I wouldnt use a gen on the 715 the orignal alt would be prefered. Apparently the 100 amp unit was so big it required both the regulator an rectifier to be external to keep it sized to dimensions of the other units, an considering the rectifier location required alot of extra cooling.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

the -20 manual, Chapter 3, section IV is all about the 100 amp alternator...it has a pic of the 100 amp alternator mounted on the motor...size of the alternator looks to be roughly the size of the stock 60 amp unit...possibly longer and slighly larger diameter as well.