Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dummy : Hazel's 715 build diatribe - need radiator PN

Default compexp :

Re: Hazel's 715 build diatribe - need radiator PN
    Post by compexp on Jul 16, 2006, 3:01pm

(edited to reduce pic sizes to keep the thread more readable.)

Default whydah :

Post by whydah on Jul 16, 2006, 6:58pm

valuable radiator mounting tip here.

as you know, radiators are pretty fragile. the supports they mount to must be sturdy enough enough to resist flex that can damage the radiator. while it's easy to just bolt the flange of the radiator to the supports, that can result in the core/tanks stretching or crushing as the supports move. i slotted my mounting points and used fasteners that would allow movement but i still have damage.

sounds pretty basic, but i thought i'd add it for the simple minded out there. takes one to know one, or many.

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on Jul 16, 2006, 7:48pm

good point - I should come up with some rubber spacers instead of just the metal ones.

Default over2land :

Post by over2land on Jul 17, 2006, 1:28am

Hope it works out Christian.

Did ya call Lucky?

I have to sort out my brake pedal not returning...

But if the truck makes it to the office tomorrow, I'm in.

Shame you can't make it Jeff. Maybe one of us could just take your truck? Lol.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Jul 17, 2006, 9:10am

Just as a point of reference from stuff I went through looking for a radiator way back when....

The only FSJ radiators that are the right size to fit the stock M715 mounting location are 2 core radiators...not gonna cut it. And even then, they have the hoses on the wrong sides requiring at least flex hoses...

The closest thing I could find in all the books as far as mounting face with 3 cores and such for the stock engine was one for an AMC cars and CJ's...I believe its a Modine 583 number and fits 1985-73 CJ and I forget which cars, but it does go up to the 304 engine.

The upper and lower hose locations are both wrong and th flanges wont work, so one needs to have the hose locations swapped left to right and right to left and have the flanges from the stock radiator put in place of the flanges that come on this one. Also these radiators have a transmission cooler and becuase of its positioning, the radiator drain is pointing straight down keeping things from fitting...so it has to be moved as well...

The size is very ver close in frontal area and height and width...new holes for the bolts have to be drilled in the flanges too....

I did all this and it works great...though it is expensive and complicated compared to what compexp did above...at the time, no one had figured out that method.

So basically, if you have the correct radiator from a CJ that is mentioned here, it can be reworked to be a good radiator in the stock truck....going out and buying one and doing all the mods to it isnt worth it because one can do as compexp did above.