Thread: NP205 shifting

Jester Guest

Default NP205 shifting

I have had an issue with my 205 since I put it in. It does not like to go into 2WD hi. Wants to go from 4WD hi right to Neutral w/ a long throw.

Found some pics of what it should look like in each position

Does the pull need to be from the side? Looks like in these pics that the arm makes it pull at an angle. Mine is more of a straight out pull. Should I offset the pivot point to one side?

Good excuse to just twin stick right?

I'd be wondering about the shift detent springs and balls, is one too loose,or the other too tight? Springs gummed up?

They're located under the caps on the case, right in line with the shift rods. If you're pictures included another inch or two on the bottom, you would be able to see the location of the caps. You'll need a small magnet to fish the balls out.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I'd be wondering about the shift detent springs and balls, is one too loose,or the other too tight? Springs gummed up?

They're located under the caps on the case, right in line with the shift rods. If you're pictures included another inch or two on the bottom, you would be able to see the location of the caps. You'll need a small magnet to fish the balls out.
    Yup - know about those. Think I cleaned them but can't remember now. Had two NP200s apart several times before the NP205 went in. Hard to remember what I did to what one. Getting old

Prob would not hurt to fish them out and clean it up. Wonder if I can get them out w/o dropping the case????

i agree with doug. you can make the t-case shift with a prybar at any point on the tie bar between the rails. if the detents are sloppy and worn, or the springs are to short or worn out it would let it slide past one gear into the next position.

did you tear the case apart before it went in? any way the detent ball was forgotten?

i know that a strait pull will work fine becase that is how my shifter works, and it hits all gears without any fight

Ryan
    67 #18820 mostly stock...

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
    i agree with doug. you can make the t-case shift with a prybar at any point on the tie bar between the rails. if the detents are sloppy and worn, or the springs are to short or worn out it would let it slide past one gear into the next position.
    I will have to pull the springs out and check condition/clean.

did you tear the case apart before it went in? any way the detent ball was forgotten?
    Nope and Nope - it definitly has a detent for the other positions.

i know that a strait pull will work fine becase that is how my shifter works, and it hits all gears without any fight
    Good to know I wont have to revise the linkage. Hopefully a good clean will solve it.

Jester Guest

Think I fixed it.

Took the detent springs and balls out - nothing strange there.

Then took the linkage bar out. The side on the left in the pics above has a slot for a hole. The one I had was kinda wallowed out and had a bit of a ledge on it. I think it was causing the pin to catch and not want to slide in the slot. Replaced the bar with another one I had and it seems to shift much better now.

Will take it for a drive later to check it out.