Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uscgmatt : dodge power steering pump

Default uscgmatt : dodge power steering pump

dodge power steering pump
    Post by uscgmatt on Jul 28, 2006, 6:00pm

Does anybody have any idea how to make a template of the mounting holes? There is no way to stick a scribe through to mark them. The pump is out of an 85 D350. Thanks

Matt

Default fisherman :

Re: dodge power steering pump
    Post by fisherman on Jul 28, 2006, 6:20pm

Which mounting holes? On a dodge or your M-715. Your trying to mount the power steering pump to your 230? Did you get your power steering box installed? Fisherman

Default uscgmatt :

Post by uscgmatt on Jul 28, 2006, 6:23pm

I am trying to mount the steering box to the frame. The pump is on a 360 in the truck.

Matt

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Jul 28, 2006, 7:41pm

OK you said pump, not steering box. The dodge 360 is mounted in your M-715. You need a fullsize jeep power steering box and a new pitman arm. This will bolt up using the 3 original factory holes your truck came with. I suggest utilizing the fourth hole on the Jeep power steering box. I believe most have 4 holes. I marked for the fourth hole when my box was mounted up tight. Remove the box, I torched through the frame, 3 thickness of steel. Used a sleeve of steel tubing and ran it through up tight to the fourth hole on the box. Tacked in place and make sure a long grade 8 bolt will go through from the outside of the frame to grab the ear on the steering box. Remove box and fully weld the tube steel sleeve. Grind or cutoff excess from outside of frame. I bolted mine up with locktight and washers. I'm not sure if using the fourth bolt hole on these boxes is necessary. I don't want any chance of steering box failures, so I took the time needed to insure a very sturdy mounting. Especially if you plan on using large tires or wheeling any. This was my solution and it looks nice too. I used a box from a 69 j300 and a zone member had the right pitman arm, I purchased from him. Good Luck Fisherman

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Jul 28, 2006, 7:46pm

Use the forth hole...I've busted the three holers off the frame three times in the past...but I tend to drive like an idiot at times

Default uscgmatt :

Post by uscgmatt on Jul 28, 2006, 8:25pm

I dont have a jeep steering box. I am trying to use the dodge steering box. The old steering box hade a homemade mount (fire dept.) which was in bad shape. The dodge box mounts on the outside of the frame. The hard part is that the back two holes are almost two far apart to fit in the frame. Parts are kinda hard to get up here, so I am trying to make do with what I have.

Matt

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Jul 28, 2006, 9:49pm

Fabrication sounds like your only option.

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Jul 29, 2006, 12:54am

If you can get a straight shot to the front side of the holes, use one of these:
    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=830-0100

If the holes are covered by part of the casting to where you don't have a straight shot, use something like this:
    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=240-1904

In the case of the second option, you'll have to determine what exact size you need since I don't know what size the holes are in the steering box and they offer the blind hole spotters in 1/32" increments.

Chris

Default uscgmatt :

Post by uscgmatt on Jul 29, 2006, 1:04am

Those tools are pretty neat and cheap.

Matt

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Jul 29, 2006, 1:12am

Have any threaded rod?

Any reason why you couldn't run them though far enough to stand it on a piece of cardboard to make your template?