Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel Gas Tank I made...

Default Stainless Steel Gas Tank I made...

Here are some pictures of the Stainless Steel tank I am in the process of making. It is designed to be very similar to the stock tank. Overall it is about 1 inch narrower, same height and same length. I ran the baffle from side to side, the stocker is front to back which only makes sense for production, not function. I am replacing the sending unit with a universal unit.

I just picked up the SS tube for the filler, and a new bottle of gas for the welder so I hope to finish it tonight. I will put up a few more pictures then.

I am lining it with POR Gas Tank liner before I weld on the top, and will be covering the outside with a DIY Bed Liner like Duraback before the install. It mounts just as the original did.

I have enough material to make 1 more, if there is interest. It took about 2 full days and the material costs alone are about $300-$350.

Looks Great Chalky. Did you break it yourself. 8 bends and it looks like it fit up perfect. Not easy, especially with SS...Nice Job. Did you go with 304, 308, or 316 sheet? Keep the pics coming. Talk to you later, Jay

I think you should make one up for each member who want's one, just because we're nice guys.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by fng View Post
    I think you should make one up for each member who want's one, just because we're nice guys.
    Ditto that....I'm feeling particularly nice lately......

Oh, are you TIG welding that stainless??

Thanks Jay.

I did all the breaks with LOW end Harbor Freight break, designed for up to 18 gauge mild steel, not for the 18 gauge stainless, so with a couple of C-clamps and some good old fashioned Red-Neck ingenuity ( a vice, some angle-iron, and a BFH) it came out real nice.
    I don't have a TIG (yet )so I'm using the Mig with wire for stainless and special gas (Helium/Argon mix if I remember right).

Did you go with 304, 308, or 316 sheet?

To be honest, I don't know. A friend of my father has a business that does metal work from HVAC to Metal pipe down-spouts for schools, to Prison shower walls (where the Sheet of Stainless I am using came from). This was an extra sheet he had left so he cut me a little off the going rate for it. Forgot the camera so the updated pics will have to wait.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkOutline View Post
    I don't have a TIG (yet )so I'm using the Mig with wire for stainless and special gas (Helium/Argon mix if I remember right).
    when i was production welding we used a 632 mix. i think it was 60% argon 38% helium and 2% carbon dioxide.

how is the stainless wire feeding for you?
    Ryan

Very nice. I've never used a mig machine on stainless. Looks like it works pretty good. If you want pretty tig is the way to go. One things for sure, you shouldn't see any rust in your lifetime. Great job.

Looks great!! If i didn't have a newly re-lined tank myself i would go this route as well..

Wish I had the money, that looks like the way to go.

Not hacking on you, but why are you going to line a stainless tank? I thought the lining was to protect against tank corrosion. Oh and great job by the way.