Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need battery cable help.

Default Need battery cable help.

My battery is in the stock location. It is roughly 6 feet to the starter (350 Chevy). I think it needs a heavier gauge cable, as it turns over slow at first. I don't remember where I got the first one or what gauge it is. What size do I need to go for? Thanks.

I had the same set up in one of my trucks and it had 2/0 but I believe 1/0 would be fine

The larger the better. I would find the largest welding cable that you can possibly fit through the grommets that go from the battery box to the starter. Welding cable has more smaller finer strands. I understand electricity travels better with more finer strands. Plus it will be more flexible than a similiar size wire with fewer larger strands. I made all my own battery cables, ground cables to the exact length I needed. It was fun once I got it down. Also if you can get your hands on red for power, black for ground that looks nice. I only could get black, so I used red heat shrink on the ends of my power cables, and black on the ends of the grounds. It looks good. Good luck.

Stock is a 2 gauge wire...for reference.

I have 2/0 wires with the batteries in the bed, cranks fine even in real cold weather.

Are you sure the ground is good, the batteries are good, the starter isnt getting on, etc?

I'll second the welding cable suggestion-thats what I used as well.

No I am not sure about a good ground, I think the battery is good, starter? Being a nail-bender, I can not tell what gauge cable I have, but it looks skinny. I will look at NAPA next time I go to town and see what they have, What and where would one find the welding-cable, I like stout.

We have a battery shop here that had it...pretty big place.
    We also have an Ace Hardware tha ha welding cable up to 1/0 I believe...I know it was big...I almost went with that till I saw the stuff at the battey place.

With a chevy the first thing I'd try is hooking the ground cable directly to the motor. Aren't they hooked to the frame first stock? If you do change remember to add a cable from the motor to the frame.

Mine does this occasionally as well. (The turning over slow at first, then picking up speed). Espeacially when warm. I think I have a little too much advance in my timing. Just a thought.

Tractor supply has welding cable too.
    "We are here for the meeting!"