Thread: 2bl to 4bl carb

Default 2bl to 4bl carb

I have a chevy 292 inline 6 in my truck that I really love. I am currently running a holly 2300 350 cfm 2bl. It sits on top of a offenhauser 4 bl intake via an adapter. My questions is, would it make a big difference if I was to put on a 390 cfm 4bl Holley? Still have the stock gears and t-case.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

You might see a slight increase in fuel mileage. Generally 4bbl's do better than 2bbl's only because the primaries are a bit smaller.

I'd expect set up properly, a bit of a low end torque increase would be gained too.

Clifford industries used to sell all the inline performance stuff:

http://www.cliffordperformance.net/
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I figured I would get a small increase in fuel, but is it enough to go through the trouble? I am not looking for anything in the performance side. I already have a 390 cfm Holley in the garage that just needs a rebuild. 4bl's are a pain setting them up on a inline 6 though. Big discussions on many boards I visit that talk about the proper way to install it.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I don't think you're going to see anything major. I'd suspect probably a 1-2 MPG increase, maybe. There would be a fair amount of work and mods, but is there anything on a Jeep that isn't?

It'd be great for the wow factor though.....Just don't see too many inlines with a 4 barrel carb.

My last inline 6 was a 250 Chevy and with most of the things I did to it, I never did any modifications to the fuel system above a later 2 barrel. With that and an HEI, it was pretty strong, but would top out at about 4,000 RPM max, and I don't recall the fuel mileage at the time. Wasn't great with 4.10's and a Saginaw 4 speed though.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™