Thread: Questions about M715 - thinking of getting one

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Questions about M715 - thinking of getting one

Hey guys, my name is Tyler. I am considering getting a M715 as a project.

I say considering because I also like the Jeep gladiators (civillian models M715). These however seem rather hard to come by compared to M715, which I have found about a dozen of. I am very patient and it may be a while before I even buy the project, I would like to first get all of my ducks in order and do research before I invest any money. Anyway on to the questions.

I have a few questions about these trucks:
    1: I know that these trucks were designed for military cargo purposes, and because of this have 5.something gearing. This makes going over about 45 mph impossible. I want to be able to use this on the highway and be able to go 70-80mph. What modifications need done to achieve this? I dont plan on running the regular bulky tires, and I know I will need to change the gear ratio, probably by doing an axle swap. Opinions/suggestions on how to achieve this?

2: I dont plan on keeping the stock tornado motor. It has 132hp, and parts are hard to come by. What engine/transmission/transfer case combo would be best? I realize this is somewhat opinion based, but I would like something that is fairly cheap/easy to come by, doesn't have many clearance issues, and has the power needed to move this thing fairly easily, maybe even tow if needed.

3: What are the worst spots that rust in the M715? How much rust is acceptable and how much rust is too much? I live in Texas and most cars I work on are newer so I am very uneducated on rust.

4: Any other suggestions on a prospective M715 owner?

1. There is a "sticky" thread with axle swap info, that, and what you can find/ budget will be the driving factors here.

2. Small block Chevy

3. Shouldn't be a big concern in TX, but rockers/ cab corners/ rear cab mounts...

You may be able to find a whole donor vehicle to get the entire drivetrain out of which might be more economical or there are some threads here on body swaps....
    Is that real money?

"have 5.something gearing. This makes going over about 45 mph impossible."
    Not entirely accurate. I'm running a stock drivetrain with 38in tires, stock front axle flanges, and I bury the speedometer regularly. Accidentally, actually. I usually don't mean to be going that fast until I re-gear.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    1968 M-715 w/1100R16s on Stockton wheels, H3 headlights, 2bbl upgrade...

I see a lot of people going for Chevy engines. I'll probably end up going that route should I buy one. I like the idea of a donor vehicle as well, and will try to do that so long as space permits.

It would also be cool to hear what other combos have been done. I've seen one thread with a Cummins 6BT which looked awesome. I feel like a diesel would just be right for a truck like this. Those engines are also quite expensive.

The M715s I have found so far in Texas have come mostly from other places. I went and looked at one, it had come from South Carolina. Decent amount of rust in it. Rocker was clearly rusted straight through.

There are rust free examples in Texas. Patience will pay off.

I daily drove my stock truck. I put in a big block 396/NV4500 and daily drove it for a year. I have had a 6.2 diesel in it for the last 6 years. Each had its strengths and weaknesses.

Such as the parts supply for stock engines. They are out there, but you have to search and collect things. However, a stock truck is outstanding at what it was designed to do. Just keep it below 2500 rpm when on the open road for transfer case life. Which is 48 mph with stock tires. 54 mph with 38” tires.

The big block was a blast. It would hit 80 with ease. However, with the top off, the windshield would bounce and thump. The steering would be light and the truck would wander. 8 mpg wasn’t all that fun either. Plus, with stock axles and the stock NP200 transfer case. I was still limited to 2500 rear drive shaft speed. Or, 54 mph on long trips.

The 6.2 has about the same hp as a stock 230. It chugs along at 54 mph all day long giving me 15 plus mpg.

If I want to go 80 mph. I jump in a M1009 and get 18 mpg all day long. If I wanted to go climb mountains like we did at the 2008 FE. A stock M715 would be my choice. My 396 couldn’t keep up with the stock stuff above 10,000 feet.

Any deviation from stock takes away from the basic mission of the truck some. I like the way mine is now. But if my rear main in the Tornado had kept at least some of the oil in the engine. I probably would have stayed stock.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    with the top off, the windshield would bounce and thump
    How did it drive with the top on? Any other grievances as far as driving on the highway? I would imagine anything with the top off would probably not drive all that well on the highway.

The steering would be light and the truck would wander
    That doesnt sound too safe. I am sure there are ways to improve the steering. The M715 I went and looked at had a power steering assembly from an 80s wagoneer, maybe that would make it better.

Any deviation from stock takes away from the basic mission of the truck some
    You are totally right on that. I dont really like changing things from stock on vehicles like this.

That being said the mission of the M715 was to tow over rough terrain at low speeds. That doesn't exactly align with what I need.

Although a truck such as a M715 is very obviously a project, I would like to be able to daily drive it once all the required work is done on it. For me, daily driving requires highway speeds of at least 70 and preferably 80. Being able to tow would also be nice, but I would like to do so at a slightly higher speed than 48-54 mph.

This does makes me think the civillian truck would be better suited to what I would like to do. The M715 does look way cooler though.

I could always body swap... not sure how I feel about that though.

It would definitly help with the issue of rust and probably be less work than doing all of the upgrades to the M715.

It just doesn't feel right though....