Thread: walkers4x4 : Thought I'd share some pics...

Default walkers4x4 : Thought I'd share some pics...

Thought I'd share some pics...
    Post by walkers4x4 on Jul 27, 2006, 5:10pm

Here are some pics of my project. Haven't touched it in awhile since I'm stuck in Texas and its in California. Its work in progress. Some things have changed since these pics were taken. Its about four inches lower and the front suspension has been tweaked some.

Me and my dad taking it for a test drive after messing with the steering.

Rear axle. I moved the springs mounts under the frame rails. Built mounts for the front, boxed the back end of the frame, and drilled a hole through the frame and welded a 1 inch diameter sleeve in. Then I put in bushings and attached the shackle. The shackles are lift greasable lift shackles for a jeep wrangler from Mountain Offroad Enterprises. Really solid pieces, I like them alot. Bilsteins have moved a little. 16 Gal fuel cell from summit racing.

GM NV4500 and NP205 with 32 splines at the input and all outputs and 1410 yokes. Twin stick conversion. Planning on CV shafts for the front and rear.

Front axle. Springs moved a little forward. Front spring mounts changed to fit a standard shackle instead of the stock one that goes from small to big. Springs are from Alcan. Full hydraulic steering. Might be changing to hydraulic assist. I mounted the cylinder in a spot where I thought it would be out of the way and the simplest to mount without making big complicated brackets. It goes between the center chunk and the arm for the tie rod. Hi flow ps pump, orbital valve, cheapo cylinder, heat exchanger, extension on pump neck for more fluid volume.

Autometer gauges, Cherokee steering column, homemade twin stick for the x-case, Wrangler seats. Planning on a roll cage and baja corbeau seats.

350 Chevy(I built this in high school...I'm surprised it hasn't destroyed itself yet). Crane roller cam, weiand manifold, holley 4 barrel, roller rockers, MSD 6AL, remote adjustable timing, rev limiter and stoich meter. Advance adapters bellhousing. Alum radiator, black magic fan.

Homemade exhaust. I bought some mandrel bends and pipe from jegs and tried to get it up and out of the way under the rocker panels.

Rear steer setup. Same ram setup as front. Electric power pak for the cylinder, controlled by toggle switch. 1 inch pin goes through two tabs on center chunk and tie rod, keeps the rear from moving on the road.

Default fredrader :

Re: Thought I'd share some pics...
    Post by fredrader on Jul 27, 2006, 6:09pm

Man we need DETAIL'S..Cool truck..Elohim1 is building one just like it and will have a lot of questions..

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jul 27, 2006, 6:44pm

THat's pretty sweet.

GOod idea to lower it. I'm keeping mine as low as possible. Interesting rear steer setup.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Jul 28, 2006, 8:38am

That just screams manly!!

Details would be nice....probably were posted before the great crash of '06?

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Jul 28, 2006, 11:13am

I gotta ask: what's the deal with the hydro power unit? couldn't you just run off a good PS pump?

Default walkers4x4 :

Post by walkers4x4 on Jul 28, 2006, 11:19am

The electric pump is in the back for the rear steering. Its a lot easier than splicing lines off the pump and running lines all the way back there and dealing with the valve issues. This pump runs off a simple 3 way toggle switch...toggle left turn left...toggle right turn right.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jul 28, 2006, 11:28am

Quote:
    I gotta ask: what's the deal with the hydro power unit? couldn't you just run off a good PS pump?

you need a bit more volume/power than a single PS pump can supply.
    Most people I've talked to about rear steer are either running a small electric pump or an engine-driven hydraulic pump, which is what I'll be doing.