Thread: snuffy : Seat replacement recommendations???

Default snuffy : Seat replacement recommendations???

Seat replacement recommendations???
    Post by snuffy on Sept 25, 2006, 8:21am

Hey guys. Looking to relace the tired, broken, worn out seats in 'the Goat'.

Would like to have a 40/20/40 style seat like my Stupid Duty, but it's a little too wide to fit in the cab. Moving the batteries behind the seat - I know clearance will be an issue. Having a 3 point seat belt integrated into the seat would also help!!!

I'm looking for practical ideas... so if anyone junkyard slumming could keep this in mind, I'd appreciate it.

Want to do this so I can take my godson (4 year old) and his dad with me duck hunting in the future. The bed of the truck will be an unpleasant place (except for a Labrador) getting to the duck blind.

Also, having unexplained muscular problems with my back - MRI in a couple of weeks - so I'm hedging my bets with the seats.

Thanks,
    Snuffy

Default barrman :

Re: Seat replacement recommendations???
    Post by barrman on Sept 25, 2006, 8:41am

M35 seats are very easy to install. It is more of a 40/60 set up, but it does work.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Sept 25, 2006, 8:48am

I'm thinking I might try 2003 Dodge Ram seats with the center fold down console seat. They are comfortable, power adjust. I haven't measured yet. Seat comfort is very important in my opinion.

Default sweeney :

Post by sweeney on Sept 25, 2006, 9:48am

Good call fisherman, either the Dodge seats, or seats from any newer GM fullsize, both those have the built in 3 point belts. I have a set of 02 Black leather power heated Tahoe seats to go into my 715. Was planning on making brackets later today to bolt them into the cab. I got a really good deal for mine on ebay, shipping ended up being pretty reasonable too, might want to take a look there.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Sept 25, 2006, 9:59am

I put '98 Dodge seats in my '66 K20. Those things are a pain to "make fit." 3 seperate stands, but the seats are all hooked together. I am not sure if the Chevy version is any easier.

Since you want the 3 across seating, look at the aftermarket solid bench with bucket back seats. The ones with the fold down arm tray. They make them for FSJ applications. That means it will basically bolt into the truck and at the outside edges of the cab only too.

If you only wanted to seat 2 I would recommend just about any small car buckets. Easy to make fit and really comfortable. I had some '92 Mazda 626 seats in mine until a few weeks ago when I put in some M35 drivers seats on both sides of the M715. Not as luxurious, but they look like they belong. That is why I suggest the entire M35 seat above. They look like they belong in the M715.

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Sept 25, 2006, 8:07pm

Good luck with cross breeding a seat. Frapguy put a seat in from an early 70s GM truck and had to hack a couple inches from the seatback frame to squeeze in between cab walls and the bottom cushion touches both doors. The Jeep cab is quite narrow compared to the competition.

I just put in a FSJ bench seat - perfect fit, direct bolt-in. It is quite a bit lower than the stock seats - in my case I'll be installing a lift kit on the seat mounts. Also I seriously doubt you'll get a common sized battery back there unless you're less than 5' tall.

Chris