Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: teking : "Redye" canvas top

Blog Entries

Default teking : "Redye" canvas top

"Redye" canvas top
    Post by teking on Aug 7, 2006, 12:39pm

.... ok so I hosed up my top trying to get mildew outta it. Called Beachwood and they said that they can't redye it because they get the canvas already OD. They said they use to get OD Canvak but couldn't get it anymore.

So ... I called the Canvak manufacturer (BUCKEYE FABRIC FINISHING COMPANY). They said they nolonger make the OD Canvak. Bummer. But they DID SAY the following ...

They said all Canvak is is mineral spirits and WAX!!! When the spirits evaporate it leaves wax (thus water proof)
    I was instructed that all I have to do to put the color back in my top is add PAINT!! I said, like the body paint that I have that is Olive Drab color from Gillespe? They said YEP!!!! When the preservative (mineral spirits) dries it will leave paint and wax!

Anyone ever heard of such a thing? I have a call into Beachwood to confirm.

Default kaiser715 :

Re: "Redie" canvas top
    Post by kaiser715 on Aug 7, 2006, 12:49pm

i've heard about the wax disolved into mineral spirits or turpentine. Never heard of adding paint to it, though. Might work. Got a scrap canvas to try it out on?

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Aug 7, 2006, 12:51pm

Interesting....faded top restore anyone?

Blog Entries

Default teking :

Re: "Redye" canvas top
    Post by teking on Aug 7, 2006, 12:53pm

Quote:
    i've heard about the wax disolved into mineral spirits or turpentine. Never heard of adding paint to it, though. Might work. Got a scrap canvas to try it out on?

I figured I try it out on the back side of the top that hangs down over the rear of the cab.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Aug 7, 2006, 12:54pm

That's sort of how I waterproofed a piece of undyed canvas--1 lb of melted paraffin wax in 1/2 gallon of gasoline (or 2 lbs wax to 1 gallon of gas, etc.), then soaked the canvas. Didn't think to try paint. Hmmmm....

Worked like a charm though. Gas smell gone in a few weeks, didn't seem to be much more flamable than before and held over a gallon of water for hours over a bucket with just some drips getting through.

Blog Entries

Default teking :

Post by teking on Aug 7, 2006, 1:17pm

Well just got off the phone with Beachwood. Spoke to Rich. He said he can see no reason why that would not work. He said in-fact the old WWII paint was mineral spirits based.

Now a call to Gillespie because Army Jeep Parts (http://www.armyjeepparts.com) where I get my paint states:

AJP recommends the reduction of Gillespie Coatings with a
    SYNTHETIC ENAMEL REDUCER. This is accomplished at a ratio of 2:1,
    paint to reducer. Most brands are fine, such as NAPA or PPG, etc; just as
    long as its a SYNTHETIC ENAMEL REDUCER.

Blog Entries

Default teking :

Post by teking on Aug 7, 2006, 1:30pm

Well got of the phone with Gillespie. They said that I could definitely use mineral spirits but that it would just take longer to dry. HOWEVER, they said they do not recommend "painting" canvas because it would crack when the canvas flexed. Duh , no nuts Sherlock. I don't think they understood that I was thinning out so much that all I wanted was to color the canvas.

We will see ...

Canvak manufacturer = YES
    Beachwood Canvas = YES
    Gillespie = NO

So canvas experts say YES. Paint experts say no. Hmmmmmm .....

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Aug 7, 2006, 2:01pm

I'm with you, I don't think Gillespie understood what you are doing. Since you are not doing much more than coloring the wax coating, I think it would work pretty well.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Aug 7, 2006, 2:19pm

I would warm the beeswax or whatever wax to melt, add mineral spirits to thin to the point it will be workable, add a little gillespie in color of choice to add a little color. Keep the stuff warm while applying and let dry. I would use no more paint than what it would take to color the wax and mineral spirits. I think it would work fine. Keep us posted and maybe take some pictures to post up for us. Anyone got any tan gillespie?

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Aug 7, 2006, 2:23pm

I was also thinking that I used to make a finish I used on wood. I'm sure it would work here to. Beeswax, and linseed oil. Melt together and they make a beautiful wax oil finish for wood. I bet a little gillespie to add color and that combo might work great to. Linseed oil is a base for a lot of oil base paint products. It should dissolve or also thin gillespie paint. Just another idea.