Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rpgdeity : Air Force M-715

Default rpgdeity :

Re: Air Force M-715
    Post by rpgdeity on Jul 13, 2006, 9:29am

So what type of markings are on the AF vehicles? The pic above shows the door, but did they ever put stars on the doors and rest of the vehicle like the Army or Marines? Everybody paints their 715 either Army or Marine green, maybe Navy grey, but I've never seen an AF blue 715. So I think I'm going to paint mine Strata Blue, and I'd like to put the near stock decals and markings like the AF vehicles. Plus I like the dark blue alot, lol.

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Jul 13, 2006, 9:46am

Since you have the Fed number of the paint color, most larger paint suppliers have the formulas for the Govt. colors. I know when I mixed paint at a local Federated Parts store we had all the Govt. codes on microfiche and I mixed several versions of OD for different people. It was Sherwin-Williams automotive paint, looked good but it was up to the painter to get the right sheen and most came out a bit too glossy.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Jul 13, 2006, 9:47am

When I was in the USAF, I never saw any stars or other markings besides the ones above and occasionally bumper markings on bigger than pickup size stuff....ecept for special purpose vehicles...like I worked in Crash Recovery and so our truck had CRASH 1 all over it....

Default moosejr :

Post by moosejr on Sept 3, 2006, 11:03am

That pic makes me wonder if there isn't a parts transplant, Standard AF marking scheme would have that truck manufactured in 1973 (hence the 73 in the number) AF vehicles stateside normally only had the markings like this on the doors and on a license plate. Special purpose vehicles also were marked for tire pressure and various other things. The AF used some standard commercial Jeep trucks in the 70's, so this looks kind of like transplanted parts to me. . .

Default beast :

Post by beast on Sept 5, 2006, 9:08am

Or 73 could be the year it was first transfered to the USAF from the Army. I have a friend who was an aircraft maintenance tech in the late 70's and he drove a M726 maintenance truck and he said it was painted OD green.