Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dxeflyr : T-case oil

Default barrman :

Re: T-case oil
    Post by barrman on Sept 5, 2006, 8:42am

Bob, I am not trying to pick a fight, but. What do you mean about full/part time? I mentally consider any t-case that can be put in 2wd only as a part time case. The Quadratrac from Jeep is what I consider a full time case. "It" decided when to be in 2 or 4 wd. Or are you referring to the gears that are in motion at all times because of the off set output of the 200 compared to the "locked" no gears involved straight through drive of the 205? I can see how that would require more lubrication in theory.

Again, not trying to pick a fight. Just trying to understand and learn.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Sept 5, 2006, 9:02am

Quote:
    better use synthetic 85w140 its a heat sink and needs all the help it can get.

For my climate, much like Alaska in the winter for which the 75W90 was originally specifally formulated for, 80 weight or more is too thick on a cold morning....takes 20 minutes to heat the diffs up enough to get over 20-25 mph without really getting into the throttle...the stuff is so tar like it isnt lubing anything...the gears are just cutting through the thick mess the start whipping it...thus building the heat from lack of proper lube that will eventually fully turn to liquid the lube so it can do its proper job...

I'll pass on going heavier for fall through spring at least....

Default davea :

Post by davea on Sept 5, 2006, 10:01am

I have to agree with Tim, the only full time cases I know of are the Jeep Quadratrac and the NP203 from the '70's

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Sept 5, 2006, 10:25am

NP200 and NP 205 are both part time. The NP203 and variants are Full Time, as well as the assorted Jeep Quad BS. There are many more modern full time cases as well, but nothing we generally fool with.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Sept 5, 2006, 12:03pm

I think some people believe part time is a transfer case that does not have all the gears spinning all the time, like our factory 200. I think a 205, or a 202 doesn't spin all the gears unless you put it in 4 wheel, people think of it as a part time. Doesn't matter to me, seems as though a 205 or 202 woulddn't heat up as much because less gears meshing together inside? That plus the centered output for rear driveshaft doesn't load up the outside gears like on the 200.