Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: elohim1 : B&M pro ratchet shifter ? with th400

Default elohim1 : B&M pro ratchet shifter ? with th400

B&M pro ratchet shifter ? with th400
    Post by elohim1 on Sept 15, 2006, 9:26pm

I have been searching for shifters to use on my TH400. I am leaning towards the B&M pro ratchet.

Yes ? No? Is there a better one for the M715 ?

All ears, Thanks
    Chris

Default jed :

Re: B&M pro ratchet shifter ? with th400
    Post by jed on Sept 15, 2006, 9:53pm

I could sell you a slighly used one (I know it's a B&M ratchet but I'll have to go look for exact name!). It was in a Pontiac Firebird w/ a 400 BB and a TH400. Previous owner put it in and never got the car fixed up enough to drive. I took it out cause it seemed too complicated! I like the less expensive ones.

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Sept 15, 2006, 11:14pm

Chris,

I went through the SAME issue. I found it VERY difficult to get a shifter I liked. My criteria were:

1) Cannot be a ratchet shifter. I'm sure these are great in race cars, but IMHO, they are goofy, annoying and suck.
    2) MUST have something so my wife doesn't inadvertantly throw it into reverse (could be detent or a gate).
    3) MUST be a cable shifter. Started out with a Lokar, and that linkage to the body is just stupid. Nice shifter, but they should make it with a cable, I took it back.
    4) has to be tall enough for me to comfortably reach in a normal driving position.
    5) should be simple, as in not too complicated it breaks a lot.

What I came up with was one of these:
    www.artcarr.com

I particularly like it. Since buying it I found they just rebadge the product for these guys, so you may get a better deal here:
    http://www.wintersperformance.com/ca...nder/index.htm

The install is pretty simple. Either you need to make a plate with 4 holes on it, or you can do stand-offs on the tranny cover like I did here:

(pay no attention to the skanky hole underneath left by the previous owner that I haven't had a chance to clean up yet)

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Sept 15, 2006, 11:32pm

get one that you can put in drive and it will shift by its self or you can shift it manually is my opinion. i put them in v-drive boats with powerglides. you can also get cable exit through the front or rear as options also. hurst made a dual gate shifter for 1969 pontiac gto.s and they sold them aftermarket also that is mechanical steel linkage rods that works good also. i can send a pix of one if you like. i got one in my t-bucket
    bob

Default fsjguy :

Post by fsjguy on Sept 16, 2006, 12:44am

Funny you should bring this up. I just installed a Hurst ratchet shifter. Works nicely. It's a normal shifter in P,R and N. When you get into D, it goes into ratchet mode. Push up or down to shift from N down through 1. You have to LIFT it up to go from N to R and then to Park. I installed it because my OEM civilian FSJ linkage was loose and I couldn't get first without losing Park. I now have both and everything inbetween.

Default bigwheelbob :

Post by bigwheelbob on Sept 16, 2006, 7:43am

In my opinion, the best shifter for the average person who doesnt want anything to complicated is the B&M Z Gate, at around $120 I have used these shifters in 99% of all the engine conversions I have done in the last 20 years for customers. They fit a very narrow area, come with neutral, and reverse light switches and have a 5 ft cable. I have never had any trouble with the customers figureing them out in just a few minutes. Not complicated at all. I think my next favorite for a street vehicle with a manuel shift automatic is the Quick Silver. A very simple ratchet type shifter, which you need with a reverse valve body.

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on Sept 16, 2006, 8:47am

Naw, you need the Hurst Lightning Rod shifter - adds a couple more levers to an already crowded area. hehehe

Default jed :

Post by jed on Sept 16, 2006, 2:15pm

I just went and checked and I was wrong...the rachet shifter I took out of the Firebird was a Hurst. The one I replaced it with was a B&M sport shifter. Maybe I'll put the Hurst on the "For Sell" board!

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Sept 16, 2006, 4:12pm

heres the one i,d use.
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail....15&autoview=sku

Default bigwheelbob :

Post by bigwheelbob on Sept 16, 2006, 7:13pm

That thing is aggrivating, and cost way to much.