Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ignition condensor

Default ignition condensor

so im gonna replace teh condensor on the stock 24v ign. is there a difference from using a 12v or do i need to find one for 24v?

I have been old by many that since they are working off of the high voltage the coil sends to the plugs, it doesnt matter on voltage for them...BUT I list a part number for the 24 volt one:
    Condenser: AL869
    and the 12 volt one:
    Condenser: AL868

I do have the following part number:

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    I have been old by many that since they are working off of the high voltage the coil sends to the plugs.....

Not true.....the points and condensor are on the primary side of the ignition system. Not the secondary where the plug wires and high voltage are.

The contact points and condensor, handle 12 volts, (or 24 in this case) switching the negative side of the coil off and on to cause a collapse of the magnetic field in the primary windings of the coil and then a high voltage surge to fire the plugs.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Thanks for the truth.

Frontline and Franks Surplus both have lots of 24V condesors if you need a place to get them.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks for the truth.
    No problem, hope it didn't sound too tough.....kinda like Jack Nicholson: "You can't handle the truth!"

No, no, no....I just have heard theory and hadnt thought it out myself...so many have told me so many different stories...its nice to get the truth...refreshing!

I like to think of an ignition system as two halves: The primary: all 12/24 volts, and the secondary: all high voltage of 10K-20K volts or more.

The Primary side includes the points, condensor, ignition switch, module in an electronic setup, the primary windings in the coil, and the ballast resistor.

The Secondary side includes the rotor button, the cap, the ignition wires, and the spark plugs. All the stuff that can jolt you good!

I really haven't tried using a 12 volt condensor on a 24 volt system, but I am not sure why it wouldn't work, other than it could possibly just not last as long. A condensor is just a capacitor that stores excess energy, and keeps the points from bearing the full electrical load and pitting up much sooner than normal.

Is the condensor ever discharged in normal ignition use? Would it make sense to do it once in a while...in a way that wont curl ones hair of course...

Is the condensor ever discharged in normal ignition use?
    Yes !! It discharges immediately upon removing voltage (ignition off) because it is connected directly across the points. The first time the points close, as the engine rolls down to a stop, a short circuit is placed across the condenser discharging it.

The condenser does see a higher voltage than the 12v or 24v the points put to the primary coil windings. The same collapsing magnetic filed, Randy so correctly described above, also collapses over the primary windings inducing a fly-back voltage seen by the points. The condenser absorbs this voltage (actually current), reducing the arc across the points (longer life) this also helps the primary circuit achieve a quick discharge upon points opening because arcing is just a delayed opening or disconnect. It then has a charge, which helps the B+ build primary coil current during the next cycle.

To summarize the convoluted explanation above, the condenser provides three critical functions:

1. Reduce arcing across the points by absorbing energy.
    2. Assists ignition by releasing stored energy.
    3. Assists quick discharge by making a potentially long arc shorter.

This really doesn't answer the original question but since we have two different part numbers there must be a difference.

Hope this helps.