Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show me your Tilt Steering Columns

Default Show me your Tilt Steering Columns

I'm working on a 715 for a guy that in his younger days was West Virginia State College restling champion. Now at 60 years old (Still benching 300lbs) (crazy) he is a big guy and wants a Tilt Steering column and keep the original look as close as we can. I know I can find plenty of junkyard Tilt wheels. But I though I would ask to see what others have done?

I used an I-DidIt brand tilt. They make many hot rod apps so there is lots to choose from. Mine is painted steel:
    http://www.sjmembers.com/gallery/album40

Jester Guest

Best install I have seen is Jed's using a Flaming River column.

Steering Column Information

If it was painted OD you would never know.

This is what I plan on eventually doing.

You will probably have to buy one of the above mentioned columns however there is a factory column that would be cooler than ever. It came in the special wagoneers designated 1414X It was labeled as a custom. The standard wag was a 1414C The column was also found in the super wagoneers. 1414D I think.
    The column is a narrow shaft tilt with a turn signal switch mounted down near the floor on an A frame mount. It was made to slide back and forth with the tilt action. It will bolt right in, have a narrow tube, fairly small upper "bell" The wheel might even not need to be changed.
    They are rare. If you find one and need a turn signal switch let me know. I bought all of them in the western United states about 10 years ago.
    I run two of these columns and the TS switch does not like gritty dirt from dusty trail running.
    So I bought extras.

The idit columns are OK but we just rejected one at my last job. The bell at the top of the column was very long even though we ordered one without all the internal junk, it was odd looking. It should have been shorter to appeal to the (at least my) eye.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

What year Wagoneers are they? You know what year range do I need to look for at the junk yard.

Thanks for the info

Found the year info thanks.
    kaiserjeep

Default Well, I need one!

I need a switch for my Super Wagoneer column. We put one of these in my Commando and had a devil of a time getting the turn signals to work. How much for a switch?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
    You will probably have to buy one of the above mentioned columns however there is a factory column that would be cooler than ever. It came in the special wagoneers designated 1414X It was labeled as a custom. The standard wag was a 1414C The column was also found in the super wagoneers. 1414D I think.
    The column is a narrow shaft tilt with a turn signal switch mounted down near the floor on an A frame mount. It was made to slide back and forth with the tilt action. It will bolt right in, have a narrow tube, fairly small upper "bell" The wheel might even not need to be changed.
    They are rare. If you find one and need a turn signal switch let me know. I bought all of them in the western United states about 10 years ago.
    I run two of these columns and the TS switch does not like gritty dirt from dusty trail running.
    So I bought extras.

The idit columns are OK but we just rejected one at my last job. The bell at the top of the column was very long even though we ordered one without all the internal junk, it was odd looking. It should have been shorter to appeal to the (at least my) eye.

You can serve the problem by lifting the steering columne by about 3 inchs in the dash, just cut the sheet metal out and modify the mout behind it accordingly. In the firewall you have to weld in a new peace of sheet metal with all the neccessary holes in an angle of about 3 degree form the existing firewall. The pedal support also must be cut out to accomodate the changed angele. It works, I did it. With a propper chraftmanship nobody will realy see the modificatin in the firewall. With a size of 197 cm it is impossible to drive a M715 without this modification, especially with my long legs.
    Wolf from Germany
    27 years with a M715

I just installed a tilt column from an '86 IROC Z28. Looks great, but not original. Only cost 50 bucks. Also added a swing pedal assy. and vac booster from '78 C30 pickup, used a m/c from a '76 Vette( different axles with 4-wheel discs).
    The column and pedal assy required some dash mods and a few custom sheetmetal parts, but nothing too complicated.
    Will be posting pics during the final assy. process.
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

I wanted to keep a stock look too so I used a Ford tilt column - truck columns didn't have the key switch until like '77. Little green paint and there you go