Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: brake drum removal

brian: go out to your truck pull off a front wheel and remove the three screws (not the ones in your head) and see if the center hole on the drum isnt larger than the hub facin or is my truck an oddball as I just got done with my brakes last night. now on the rears I dont remember as it was before christmas when I did them but I didnt turn the drums so Im pulling them off and turnin them soon.
    we cant let brian be right, even 1% of the time so lets keep him at 0% right or his head may start to swell! hahahaha.
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

2. Default

"Lug nuts need plenty of tightening to keep your wheel snug on the hub— 300 lbs-ft.
    If you don’t have a torque wrench handy, just figure that’s about as much torque as the average guy can put on with the truck’s OEM lug wrench—but no standing or jumping on the wrench. And make sure the studs are centered in the lug nut holes before you tighten the nuts down. If you don’t have full-circle support on those nuts, you’ll find your wheel bustin’ up around the holes."
    If your Lugs come loose those 3 little screws will help save your brakes.
    1969 M715

I pulled my drums off again today and replaced the springs and my drums fit loosly around the hub so without the screws my drum wouldnt be centered. has anyone else found this to be true with theirs or is mine wierd. Wow 300 lbs-ft of torque sounds like alot. Id better tighten mine some more. I set mine at 140, thanks Danarchy.
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

brian thanks for the advice on drilling thay came out really easy and that i put new ons in from another parts truck that i have so thanks any ways but i will keep mine in just in case thay do serve a purpose.
    -brad
    '86 & '98 Ram 4x4's

Has anyone had success in finding these screws @ a hardware store or such? I don't have the luxury of a parts truck (and I'd have to remove those screws, too!) and my front drums' screws are stuck good. I've been soaking them in WD40 for the past several days and hitting them with the impact driver hasn't done squat. I'm all for drilling them out, but I want to know that replacements are available SOMEWHERE. <g> TIA.

I ordered some from Memphis Equip a few weeks ago. B said that he doesn't use
    them, but does his truck run?

i would use them as they are supposed to hold rh drum tight in case you forget to tighten your lugnuts and they help keep the drum from moving due to braking
    -brad
    '86 & '98 Ram 4x4's

Barry put some in the axles I bought from him that use a hex wrench to take off...I also know VPW has them.
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Like Jon said - flat head socket screws. The slotted ones will be much more difficult to find from a non surplus supplier.

Check McMaster-Carr.com or something like that, they'll definitely have ones that will work.

Chris

I got the friggin' screws out. A combination of: 1 failed attempt of heating with a MAPP torch, multiple hits with an impact wrench, beating the hell out of an impact driver (and breaking it) and about 4-5 days of spraying with WD-40. Finally, today, they broke loose with the impact wrench again. I'll be using A LOT of anti-seize on these suckers....