Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frame rail serial number stamping locations

Default VIN number

I learned in this forum where the original VIN numbers should be.
    However, in 1981, when I sanded down the frame of my M715 I found noting in the locations mentioned. In the diagonal cross member supporting the trailer hitch I found numbers on both sides. But they did not match the sereial number mentioned on the plate on the dash.
    I know from other people in Germany that they found on the locatins mentioned some very poor stampings which for them happily matched the dash bord plates.
    I stamped the serial number in the right side of the frame by myself. And it was good enough for erveryone due to the knowledge in Germany that US vehicle serial numbers are not neccessarily stamped into the parts required by German requirements. I still own that truck
    Wolf

There are numbers stamped into many areas of the truck...the sides of the front frame rails by the tires has a 5 digit number stamped into it has appears to be a VIN...but it is not...it is a part number for that piece of the truck.
    Numbers found in other places than listed as official vin locations are most likely part numbers, casting numbers, etc and NOT vins.

Markness showed me the number on the side of the frame...it had 2 digits above 3 digits and looked kind of like it was stamped in a circle...maybe he can post a pic or at least the number...I thought I wrote it down and I should have snapped a pic but I didnt.

Drivers side had the last digit one higher or lower than the other side...

Default These?

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Markness showed me the number on the side of the frame...it had 2 digits above 3 digits and looked kind of like it was stamped in a circle...maybe he can post a pic or at least the number...I thought I wrote it down and I should have snapped a pic but I didnt.
    These the numbers you are talking about? 2 above 3? There is weld splatter making this one hard to read. These are on the frame side, near the front passenger. There are others also.

SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Those are exactly the ones I referred to!!

In the reare case you can not find a VIN or it is rusted away and your authorities give you a new number, how about ask them to allow you to stamp it into the frame on a easy to access area and get that noted into your documents. Asking sometimes helps, aspecially when these people have a heard for vintage vehicles.
    To the experiance of this side of the Atlantic river, Kaiser Jeep products for the military relatively often have the problem of poor serial number stamping. Sometimes this is related to the number of depot maintenances, when the frame was sand blasted three or for times in the last 20 to 25 years in the depot.
    I will not explain the "how to do" of this side of the Atlantic river for I know that our way of handeling the problem is illegal in the States.
    Wolf

still cannot find vin # anywhere i took the front clip off for a engine swap.the metal was very smooth and not pitted or anything on the place on front of the frame.i took a wire brush and went over the area then sprayed paint on it and removed paint and nothing was there.

Quote Originally Posted by chadriley5 View Post
    still cannot find vin # anywhere i took the front clip off for a engine swap.the metal was very smooth and not pitted or anything on the place on front of the frame.i took a wire brush and went over the area then sprayed paint on it and removed paint and nothing was there.
    My parts truck has the same issue but it has the correct # stamped on the rear location. Both of my other trucks have the # in both places.

Thanks for this post ,checked my truck and the number are there and clear to see, and match the dash plate!!!!ya

Meanwhile I found the number in the indicated location, when I had the engine out for an other reason. It is there, however stamping is very very poor.
    Wolf

The look and allignment of the VIN stamping makes me cringe, the 'Vehicle Identification Inspector' for my neck of the woods here in Idaho is an annoying government stickler and would balk when he saw the missaligned stamping and accuse me of stamping it myself. Its not the first time he's done that to me or my car buddies, which is why I resisted the urge to clean the area up.
    When all else fails, GABFH.