Thread: It started as a brake upgrade

Default It started as a brake upgrade

I've been lurking on here for a while and did a few upgrades I thought I should share. I have been driving it for over 10 years with minimal maintenace required but it is starting to show.

I started having some brake issues. The brake lights stopped working and I could see some leaking from the passenger rear brake cylinder. There was a pressure switch plumbed into the rear brake lines on a union bolted to the frame. The Master wasn't stock and while troubleshooting I realized there was no fluid for the rear and the front had rust in it. I decided to replace it, except I had no idea what it came out of. Not sure if the master cylinder/brake booster came from the donor vehicle. When I bought the truck, I was told it was a Chevy 350 but the block numbers show it’s a 305. Turns out that didn’t help me figure out what parts to order so I just decided to upgrade everything.

Master and booster before:

The plan is to eventually drop in a Cummins (a 10-year-old plan at this point…) so I upgraded to a hydro boost system with Wilwood master to give me the option of using it in the future. I also upgraded all the hard and soft brake lines and changed out all the brake cylinders to make sure it was safe. The power steering pump provides the hydraulic power to the hydro boost and it had been whining for a while. Might as well upgrade that too, right?

The hydro boost lines up with the brake pedal and was relatively painless to install. In this pic I was waiting on a brass bushing to adapt the hydro boost push rod to the smaller pin diameter on the brake pedal assembly.

The truck had already been converted to power steering and a radiator had been hacked in during the engine swap. This gave me some clearance issues with the new fittings at the steering gear. I also noticed the radiator was leaking and the bracket was broken so I went overboard again and upgraded the radiator as well. I wasn’t able to retrofit a new radiator like others have done here. Some of the structure had been cut out. I made a cradle and supported the radiator off some angle iron using some premade aluminum brackets designed to support the radiator. This bracket was bolted to new body mounts that I welded to the front end.

Cradle mocked up to the frame

Some pretty weak sheet metal work on my part. Wanted to make sure the air flowed through the radiator.

Painted with the vertical angle iron welded in place. It's hard to see in the pic.

Radiator mounted

Radiator mounted with temp overflow. I hadn't finished mounting the battery at this point. It was already located on the passenger side fender next to the radiator and required some "adjustment" to make the new radiator fit.

All back together with some new turn signals and headlights.

Forgot to mention the improvement in braking. Before the brake upgrade it was a little sketchy stopping. At that time I probably didn't have functioning rear brakes though. The brake performance after the upgrades and the hydro boost conversion was astonishingly better. It stops way better than I thought was possible with drum brakes.

I can list out all the parts if anyone needs them. Many of the parts were researched on the zone. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the content. I have definitely benefited.

Default Hydroboost Part Numbers

Nice system. I would love to get part numbers and where you ordered. Sounds like you needed some adaptor for master cylinder rod?

Also part numbers on brake cylinders and brakes for drums.

I just picked up a bone stock M715 and upgrading brakes is #1 on the list.

thanks!

Nice system. I would love to get part numbers and where you ordered. Sounds like you needed some adaptor for master cylinder rod?

Also part numbers on brake cylinders and brakes for drums.

I just picked up a bone stock M715 and upgrading brakes is #1 on the list.

thanks!

I think I can go through the receipts this weekend to get part numbers.

If memory serves, the push rod I had would fit a j-truck and I just needed an additional part that the seller sent me after the fact.

I finally got around to making up a major parts list for the brakes, steering and radiator.

M715 hydroboost New JeepM715-M725 and '62-67/'73 J Series Hydroboost | eBay

Wilwood Master Cylinder and proportioning valve - 261-14252-BK - Jegs
    *had to modify the pushrod spacer between the hydroboost and master cylinder. The spacer was a little too long.

Wilwood Residual pressure valves - 950-260-13707 - Jegs
    PolyArmor 3/16 brake line - PAC-325 - Advance Auto

Earle's prolite hose and fittings - Summit Racing
    Earle's power steering hose and fittings - Summit Racing

Raybestos Wheel cylinders - WC9344 - Rock auto
    Raybestos Wheel cylinders - WC9345 - Rock auto
    Crown performance custom front and rear brake hoses

PSC power Steering pump - PFN-SP1405X-6-12 - Summit Racing
    PSC reservoir with filter - PSC-SR500 - Jegs

Griffin Radiator - 55242-X - Summit Racing
    BJ's offroad heater core - 18-1200-E - BJ's Offroad
    *had to enlarge the heater box holes to make it fit

Crown Automotive body mounts - J0965888 - Summit Racing

I did buy a lot of brake fittings and various AN fittings to plumb everything as well.

What a valuable list...THANK YOU for posting that!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!