Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pto winch

Default pto winch

look what i got my hands on today, i under stand its not the stock winch, but who cares, my truck isnt exactly stock anymore, and i doo need a winch. so, the storie is, my dad is scrapping a tow truck, its a 80's chevy, with a 2wd sm465 (for sell) and a pto winch, im going to take the pto and put it on my tranny and run the winch up front. what do you guys think, i think it will look good.

how dose the pto work? like how dose it engage and dis engage?

my signature is sweet huh?

First of all pto winches are great strong pullers, as long as the engine can run. Second not sure about that particular winch as those typically arent' used on the front of a truck. I'm sure someone could make it work though. I don't think the PTO unit on the chevy transmission will work with a t-98 stock trans. But maybe your using a chevy trans that it will work on. The pto shift lever and driveline stuff could be difficult to come up with, if your looking for stock stuff. Otherwise you can fab up some driveshaft with a pillow block or two and make it work. Good Luck.

the winch looks like it might be versital, like i can switch which side i can mount the driveline to.

and im running a sm465 tranny, the pto is mounted up in the tow truck, which i believe is a 465 as well....if anything i can forget about the driveline and use hydrolic

Do you know how to hook up a PTO winch with hydrualics?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

You may want to check the capacity on the wrecker winch to see if it will handle what you want. Many of those winches are designed for rolling loads.

As far as making it fit, that shouldn't be a problem if you have a welder and some time.

I have a winch just like that one. I think the winch it's self is reversable and not needing the PTO to be reversable. Add snatch blocks to the line and pull the world.
    Is there a secondary tranny in the scrap truck? I am in want of a Spicer / Brown Lipe tranny W/OD.

A friend of mine got a holmes 440 wrecker and simply installed the entire rig in his 715. There isnt alot of cable storage on the spool so you cant reach out as far as you could w/ a typical bumper mount type.Although in the army alot of pulling and recovery ops were intended to use block and tackle to extend length an pulling power anyway.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by sermis View Post
    Add snatch blocks to the line and pull the world.
    With a snatch block you can double the amount pulled, but that won't double the winch capacity though. You can break a winch faster that way.

As far as the operation of the winch. Since it is in place on a wrecker, that tells us a couple of things. One, all the mechanism is there. There should be a shifter of some sort inside the cab to engage the PTO, either by lever or with an electrical solenoid switch. As far as powering the winch drive, most wrecker setups have some sort of a clutch setup on the outside of the bed to control running the winch. This type of winch uses a worm drive, so it does not need a brake. It should be pretty straight-forward, the most difficult part probably being laying out the PTO drive shaft, and setting up the controls for the hand controls. PTO winches on rigs other than tow trucks usually use the vehicle's clutch and the operator has to sit inside the cab and operate the clutch to run the winch. . . .I hope this all makes sense. . ..It will make a nice setup once you get it working. . . .

im not shure on the capacity, but it looks prety beefy...would you guys use shaft, or should i use hydrolic...i have a electric hydrolic pump i could use. the winch is now ran off of a sm465 pto (i couldent find a lever to engage, but their is a switch) then it goes from the tranny down under the bed to a chain then the winch, the chain has the same size sprockets so it wasent entended for lowering the ratio.

you guys tell me

keep it, or just go get a warn....but rember im cheap, and hate to spend money