ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Open Discussion for all M715 series trucks

Old September 11th, 2019, 07:42 AM
Corporal

Nailhead is a Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumas.placer.miner View Post
I suppose my tribulations all sound quite petty. In the big picture, is it really that important?
Important to the world relative to world peace or ending cancer? Not really. Important to you because getting what you pay for is expected and reasonable? Quite important and deserving of no apologies on your part.

Hearing about this is important to me so I can steer clear of this clown show. I also think it's important to publicize practices like these-- the court of public opinion, if you will.
Old September 12th, 2019, 06:37 AM
Private

plumas.placer.miner is a Soldier

Thanks all...I am just frustrated. I would like to drive my truck.

And my wife? Well, she didn't really want me to buy the truck in the first place, but I convinced her that it would be a good way to meet new people when we retire to a small town in the Sierras. We could drive in 4th of July and Memorial day parades. Personally, I want it for my mining rig to go up to my claims in the high Sierras.

Now, every time something bad happens with the truck, she just shakes her head as if to say, "Told ya so."... and she did. haha.

Yeah, I would like some cheese with my whine. haha.

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; September 13th, 2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old September 14th, 2019, 11:24 AM
Private

I took the engine back yesterday and asked them to take their time and build a good engine for me and to use the 1975-1979 components that I asked for.

Now I wait...again.

I can't buy or build a radiator shroud until I have the engine in and the fan installed, so I can measure. I don't know how far the fan sits from the radiator, or where it sits in relation to the radiator because of the slight radiator offset.

In the meantime I can take off the hard canopy and put in headliner fabric. That should quiet down the ride somewhat. I am told to use high temp spray adhesive.
Old September 17th, 2019, 10:12 PM
Corporal

Von is a Soldier

Quote:
Now, every time something bad happens with the truck, she just shakes her head as if to say, "Told ya so."... and she did. haha.

Yeah, I would like some cheese with my whine. haha.
My wife used to hate my truck. As I've done more work on it and made it sound better, ride (a little) better and comfy seats... She likes it now. Not love, just like.
We'll take it on local runs or garage sales and it gets a lot of attention. She gets to use her Parade Wave.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 02:15 PM
Private

Default Fiberglass Top Headliner

Okay so, I have never done this before.

While I wait for the engine, I decided to see if I could put a headliner in the fiberglass top that came with the truck. It ought to insulate the cab and quiet the ride down a bit.

First I took the top off and laid it upside down. (I am obviously not interested in laying upside down on my back to install it in the truck). The top has some irregular patterns for strength, so I dealt with them by installing 1/8" tempered Masonite with epoxy.

I painted the top green around the edges and then I made a pattern out of paper:

The liner trim I bought at Lowes. It was only $3.50 for an 8' stick. I bought two. The trim looks like this:

Then I cut out the fabric. It was about $15 per yard. I had 2 yards from an earlier purchase and I picked up 2 more yards a month later. Unfortunately they were slightly different colored, but it's okay with me. I am not that picky for this. My truck isn't a full period restoration. I used 3M Super Yellow High Temp Spray Adhesive, It was $26 for one can. *Owee*. I am told it is the best stuff for this. I put factory edges where the trim is going to be.

Finally, here's what it looks like so far. I am not sure I am happy with the trim being so many different pieces. It was pretty challenging to bend with a heat gun and I ruined more pieces than I got right. I tucked the fabric under the rubber which is around the glass. It worked out okay.

I am going to ask a friend to look at this. Maybe I can bend the horizontal trim piece in one full stick with the heat gun. Right now it is in 3 pieces and it doesn't look good up close. The heat gun makes the trim warp and twist if not done very slowly and carefully.

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; September 22nd, 2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 04:14 PM
Private

grymsr is a Soldier

A very ambitious project for sure. I think it looks pretty good. perhaps it's not quite what you imagined but kudos for the attempt and write up.
Old September 28th, 2019, 10:06 AM
Private

Default Engine Saga Continues...

Yesterday I asked the company here in Reno that is supposed to be building an engine for me, about the details. I had asked them NOT to RTV the valve cover and oil pan gaskets because I wanted to take them off to paint the engine the way I want.They told me that I cannot remove the valve cover or oil pan during the warranty period or I would void it: 12,000 miles or 12 months.

Last time I asked them to paint the engine for me and they did it wrong and gave me the engine with tacky wet paint on it, which of course got all messed up during the transport home.

So, I asked them for my money back. First, that is a terrible warranty; most online engine re-manufacturers offer 3 years, unlimited miles. Second, if the engine develops a leak or a problem during that time, I would need to go through a whole process whereas they have to inspect it and have to authorize repair at a shop that they run. In other words, buying an inline 6 engine from them for $3750 creates additional problems for me should something go wrong.

They simply lost my trust.

I pointed out that they they gave me reason not to trust them (giving me wrong components on the last engine), for which they admitted and apologized for, but that their warranty is what it is.

So, I asked for my money back and my parts back...covers, bolts etc.

Now I either need to find another engine re-manufacturer or buy a core and do the work myself by farming out the machining: magnaflux, resurfacing, valve grinding and reseating, cleaning, etc.

I am sure I could do it for a lot less than $3700, but how many mistakes would I make? Those cost money too. And then there's the time it will take, and there are some tools I will need to buy.

Ah, the joys of automobile restoration...I don't deserve this much fun. hahaha
Old September 28th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Private

jhartings is a Soldier

Brian,

Give me a PM with all your engine info. My dad works for Jasper Engines and Transmissions. They are one of the largest rebuild companies in the world.

I will call him with your info and see if they have a drop off near you. They are top notch and won’t mess up your engine.
Old September 28th, 2019, 05:54 PM
Sergeant

glenn is a Soldier

I've installed Jasper engines, transmissions and transfercases before. Top notch company that stands behind their product. Had one issue with an engine and they took care of it and paid the labor to diagnose and repair it.
Old October 1st, 2019, 08:32 AM
Corporal

Nailhead is a Soldier

Quote:
Yesterday I asked the company here in Reno that is supposed to be building an engine for me, about the details. I had asked them NOT to RTV the valve cover and oil pan gaskets because I wanted to take them off to paint the engine the way I want.They told me that I cannot remove the valve cover or oil pan during the warranty period or I would void it: 12,000 miles or 12 months.

Last time I asked them to paint the engine for me and they did it wrong and gave me the engine with tacky wet paint on it, which of course got all messed up during the transport home.

So, I asked them for my money back. First, that is a terrible warranty; most online engine re-manufacturers offer 3 years, unlimited miles. Second, if the engine develops a leak or a problem during that time, I would need to go through a whole process whereas they have to inspect it and have to authorize repair at a shop that they run. In other words, buying an inline 6 engine from them for $3750 creates additional problems for me should something go wrong.

They simply lost my trust.

I pointed out that they they gave me reason not to trust them (giving me wrong components on the last engine), for which they admitted and apologized for, but that their warranty is what it is.

So, I asked for my money back and my parts back...covers, bolts etc.

Now I either need to find another engine re-manufacturer or buy a core and do the work myself by farming out the machining: magnaflux, resurfacing, valve grinding and reseating, cleaning, etc.

I am sure I could do it for a lot less than $3700, but how many mistakes would I make? Those cost money too. And then there's the time it will take, and there are some tools I will need to buy.

Ah, the joys of automobile restoration...I don't deserve this much fun. hahaha
I had a little Abarth back in the '80's that had a really troublesome engine, so I decided on a more modern replacement. Found a classified ad (remember those?) selling many parts, bought them, and started the rebuild process.

Buy the right parts, find a good machinist and a clean space in which to work, be methodical and patient with the proper tools, rebuild your engine.

I raced that engine & never had any problems with it. I had never rebuilt an engine before.

You obviously are mechanically inclined & capable, have a shop and some tools. From what I've read above, you don't have a heluva lot to lose.