ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Open Discussion for all M715 series trucks

Old June 21st, 2019, 07:16 AM
Private

plumas.placer.miner is a Soldier

Thanks Jeremy!

I should note that my shop is only 20' x 24' and it's packed full of shelves that store all of my gold mining equipment and everything else one needs to be a relatively self-sufficient human being in the 21st Century. If I had put the truck on the concrete in the shop (for rolling the engine hoist), it would not have fit all the way into the shop and then I would need to leave the shop door open all night for weeks and critters would get inside (including the vandalizing neighborhood kids). Besides, then it would also be difficult to load equipment into my other pickups for other tasks I might need to do.

I am stuck working on the M715 on the gravel floor under the carport; an imperfect situation to be sure. Note to self: Use 3/4" plywood, not OSB. OSB becomes soft when doused with coolant when the old engine is lifted out.

[[[radio static]]] "Blue leader to Red Leader...over..." [[[radio static]]]
Old June 21st, 2019, 09:52 AM
Private

jhartings is a Soldier

Hey man... sometimes you just got to make s&#% work!
Old June 21st, 2019, 09:37 PM
Private

Default June 21 Progress...

Installed and torqued down both manifolds today. Cleaned up, painted and greased clutch linkage. Flushed and installed Radiator. Oil pressure send unit installed, new fuel line and filter installed, fuel pump installed. Starting to rebuild "Carter" carburetor (It's a real Carter so I will keep it instead of buying a new Carter-type knock off).

I am waiting for a new water pump double pulley because the one I have wobbles. I don't want my new engine to look {{{wobbly}}}.

I should have this rig driving on the road by next week if all goes smoothly.

I bought canvas covers from NewLife Canvas, which will arrive in July. I bought Air Force Veteran stickers for the windows, and a small Air Force flag to fly in front for cruising during "Hot August Nights" this year.

I am not an Air Force Vet, but the truck is!

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; June 25th, 2019 at 06:17 AM.
Old June 25th, 2019, 08:27 AM
Private

Default almost done with Engine Install...

I might be able to get the engine running today. There are just a few details left...attach fuel line, attach exhaust, find #1 TDC compression stroke and make sure the distributer is pointing toward #1 cylinder, attach a couple of hoses, fab a support bracket for the fuel line and...that ought to do the trick.!

(Please don't laugh at my rice-burner plug wires. It was the only set in-stock that had elbows on both ends. The black wires were over $60, so...no freakin' way! Red and yellow are Marine Corps colors so I wasn't too terribly offended by them).

Start me up!!

Then I need to take a break for a few weeks for surgery. No big deal, but soon it's time for rest.

I received the truck on February 20th, 2019. It's June 25th, 2019 today, so the preceding pages have documented my truck rebuilding progress for about 4 months.

There's still lots of work to do on this truck. I hope to have it in good working order by August 1 for Reno's "Hot August Nights" (HAN) event. If anyone here is in Reno for HAN and sees my truck, please come and say hello!

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; June 25th, 2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old June 25th, 2019, 07:55 PM
Private

Default Engine starts and Runs...but...

The engine started and runs...YAY!

But... right away there is a problem...the engine is *clattering* and we're trying to figure out what's making the noise. Then I see a big puddle of oil that has dripped from the bell housing, and my friend sees that the oil pressure is at 100 psi. The oil must be blowing past the rear main seal. The pressure is really high and the oil has to go somewhere, right? It seems as though there is a blocked oil passage somewhere. The clattering might be from the lifters, but I dunno...

Not good.

We checked under the filler cap and oil is getting to the valves and to the head.

So, we shut it down right away and we all felt so bummed. I will call the manufacturer in the morning to see if there's anything I can do, but if not, I will need to send it back and get another engine core. Total Bummer. **sigh**

All that work.

Yes, I prefer cheese with my whine.

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; June 25th, 2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old June 25th, 2019, 08:10 PM
Private

jhartings is a Soldier

Bummer. Any way to check the passages?
Old June 26th, 2019, 09:44 AM
Private

I am wondering if incorrect vacuum routing may be causing it. I am trying to read up on it...

I also gave a call to the company I bought the remanufactured engine from and started a claim. They are going to have a technician call me.

I don't like the idea of doing that work again, but I will if I have to. I don't think the truck will be ready for cruising

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; June 26th, 2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old June 26th, 2019, 10:50 AM
Private

tomb is a Soldier

chick your oil filter mount for a bypass you might have to have a filter with a bypass. the 258 had both
Old June 28th, 2019, 09:38 AM
Private

Default issues and problems...

Okay, so I think I found the problem...it's me! haha

SILLY FOOL #1:

Only being a mechanic on TV, there's a lot of stuff I simply don't know. For example, I didn't know that a certain oil pressure gauge needs a specific sending unit. I just bought a sending unit for 1975-1979 jeep J10 pickup which is what this engine is , thinking that would be fine. Silly fool.

I put a Snap-on mechanical oil pressure gauge in the oil pressure sending unit hole and the gauge on it read 65 psi. It's a new engine and pump so that's okay I think. Much better than the 100 psi on the pegged-out existing dash gauge.

However, since the gauges in my truck are "SunPro" and they are no longer manufactured, I need to buy whole new gauges and sending units. Worsening the matter, if I want all the gauges to match, then I need to come up with more $... about $250 more. DRAT!

SILLY FOOL #2:

The oil leak is a different story. People told me that the AMC 232 and the 258 were the same engine, except for the longer stroke in the 258. haha. Only some things are the same. Silly fool.

I had installed the 232 oil pan on the 258 because it had less rust on it and was easier to clean up and paint. It fit just fine, but after two replacements of the oil pan gasket (torrential splashy leak from the rear of the pan), I had to look closer. Also, I was wondering why I could only put 5 quarts of oil in the new engine when the capacity is supposed to be 6 quarts... It was a mystery! Silly fool.

The 232 pan is much shallower, causing the oil pan to be fuller which caused oil to splash out at the rear seal or rear oil pan gasket area, especially when the engine is at High RPM or under load.

So, I have to drop the pan AGAIN and put a new gasket on it. BTW, I don't like the 4 piece gasket sets. I like the single piece silicon gaskets much better. This will be the third time changing the oil pan gasket. $$$ silly fool.

But first I need to clean up (rust abatement, prime and paint) the pan off the 258 that is badly rusted. See below. The top pan is for the 258 and the lower pan is for the 232. Silly fool.

I didn't base my decision about which oil pan to use on the correct information. My thinking was flawed. Lesson Learned.

Maybe I should weld a steel plate onto the bottom of the 258 pan because it hangs down so low. Hmmm...

SILLY FOOL #3:

The engine was clattering when running. Come to find out, a secondary crankshaft pulley on the 232 (mounted on the vibration damper) is different on the 258 than on the 232. The pulley was riding on the rubber part of the damper instead of being tightened down to steel. Because it was on the rubber, at higher RPMs it was bouncing and wobbling on the damper rubber causing a strange noise that sounded like a knocking rod or something. Silly fool.

I found the correct pulley (it is just a smidge deeper than the pulley I used) so when it's torqued down, it's steel to steel, not riding on the rubber anymore.

Now I need to rust abate and paint the correct pulley.

*sigh* That's what I get for pretending to be a mechanic.

The good news is...wait for it.... the engine runs great! I still have time to get this guy going for 4th of July and Hot August Nights. YAY!

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; June 28th, 2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old June 28th, 2019, 10:02 AM
Private

"chick your oil filter mount for a bypass you might have to have a filter with a bypass. the 258 had both"

I will check that. Thanks so much!

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; June 28th, 2019 at 10:22 AM.