ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Open Discussion for all M715 series trucks

Old August 7th, 2019, 05:12 PM
Private

plumas.placer.miner is a Soldier

You got that right! haha

Actually, the technician at the warranty company actually called me today (I know, right?) and told me that my claim, [[when approved]] should only take a couple of days to adjudicate. He went on to say that he wished the shop had given them a photo of the piece of epoxy that fouled the rear main seal and bearing cap, but that maybe he probably wouldn't need it for this claim.

I think they got off easy... and cheaply! I was almost ready to send the whole dam*ed thing back to them.

Now I have an overheating problem that I never had before. According to the new sender and gauge, the water temp gets up to 225 degrees F at idle.

I put a big funnel in the radiator cap and filled it with coolant and ran the engine. Some bubbles burped out. There may have been an air pocket.

Remember when you asked me about getting a new radiator? I turns out that was prophetic! I called around and found out that it would cost about $150 to remove one tank from the radiator and clean it, but it would only cost $233 to buy a new radiator.

So that's what I did.

You are clairvoyant Jhartings!

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; August 7th, 2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old August 7th, 2019, 08:51 PM
Private

jhartings is a Soldier

Good luck Brian. Hope you get your truck running soon. Keep at it.
Old August 10th, 2019, 06:54 AM
Private

Well, the engine still leaks oil. *sigh* It also has a high water temperature (250 degrees after only 2 miles of driving) and the oil pressure is about 80 psi.

Today I am pulling the engine and prepping it to ship back to them. I couldn't fix the leak and a licensed shop couldn't fix the leak. On top of that, the warranty company only wanted to reimburse me $400 out of the $900 that the shop billed me. What a rip-off.

In case you are wondering, it's LKQ in Texas. Don't businesses care about customers anymore?

So, almost back to square one... with one consolation...I still have my M715!
Old August 12th, 2019, 02:36 PM
Private

Default In the Interim...

While I am waiting to get my money back for my defunct and leaking engine, I decided I have lots of other things to do...

This is the spare tire holder. Completely rusted...before...

and after...

and my radiator protector grill:

Old August 12th, 2019, 02:55 PM
Private

Default new engine!

I am going to have a local company build me an engine. They quoted me $2200 which is far less than the $3099 I spent on the last engine from ATK/Engines Direct.

And they are a local company t'boot.

My new radiator will arrive soon...
Old August 16th, 2019, 07:40 PM
Civilian

future715 is a Soldier

This is a cool build man. nice to watch the progress, Cant wait to get mine built 100%.

To bad my build is going to be 5x the cost.

Going to take me forever.
Old August 17th, 2019, 08:07 AM
Private

Yeah Future...I have to keep reminding myself that it's the journey, not the destination, that counts. It's a marathon, not a sprint. I have made so many mistakes...learned so much... and spent so much...haha.

------------

So, I sent the leaky engine back, and they are going to refund my money. They even said that they will inspect the engine and if there is a mechanical defect, they will refund all of the money they charged me at the auto shop. I am waiting for my refund.

In the interim, I put $1000 down on a new engine core long block at a local machine shop. They need to find me a core for a 1975-1979 Jeep 258 ci (4.2L) inline 6 for me. Then they will get started.

So, back to square one with the engine, but at least I am moving forward. I won't be able to go as fast this time because my summer break is over and I am back to work putting in 60+ hours a week.

------------

I bought a new radiator. I couldn't find one that fit exactly. BTW, there is a NOS radiator for sale on the web for $750! (*ouch*). Anyway, the radiator I bought doesn't fit...of course, but this is the closest I could find unless I wanted to have one custom made.

As you can see, the mounting bracket is incorrect and the radiator is too tall. I am faced with the choice of trying to alter the new radiator and the truck frame cross braces to make it fit, or return it and try to find one that fits better. I like the idea of a larger radiator...a cooler engine is a good thing!

------------

Get this...I took my old radiator in to a radiator shop to have them take a look at it. (this cracks me up)...the radiator technician told me that the radiator that was in my truck is from a 1980s Nissan pickup. WTF? At least the new one I bought is from a CJ7! haha

And so it goes...

------------

I also bought new rubber grommets for the steering rods that are connected to the pitman arms. I am going to get going on cleaning those up next.

------------

Lastly, my canvas cargo covers for both the Truck and trailer are not done because the quality of the canvas is poor and it's difficult to get large pieces without flaws. My tops were supposed to be done in July, but I am 3rd in line for completion. It doesn't matter that they are late...with no engine, having the cargo tops isn't a priority.

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; August 17th, 2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2019, 05:42 PM
Private

Default Final Disposition of the Engine Oil Leak

The warranty company inspected the 258 I6 engine that I sent back to them. According to them, the block half of the rear main seal was installed backwards (or upside down) and that's why the oil kept leaking from the seal.

It's sad that the automotive shop I sent the engine to didn't catch the problem either.

In any event, I received a full refund for the engine and a full refund for the shop expenses.

It's a good day for me! Now we get to take all of the things we learned (my son and I) from the first engine build and install and apply them, in effect demonstrating what we have learned on the new engine I am having built.

Sometimes, the universe works just fine!
Old August 23rd, 2019, 07:31 PM
Private

jhartings is a Soldier

Really glad it worked out Brian. Hope you get that beast running soon. Good luck on getting an engine.
Old August 24th, 2019, 12:01 PM
Private

Default Back in the Saddle..

Alright, so now that my neck is a little better and I can work a little bit (don't have to wear that collar), I have decided to get back to working on my truck.

My neighbor gave me a little Harbor Freight pressure pot sand blaster. He didn't want it because it is a piece of ...horse hockey. I was able to get it to work pretty good and I sand blasted the last rust on my spare tire mount bracket. It does an imperfect but fair job.

I am amazed that almost all of the parts to this truck are here, especially the bronze spacer on the spare tire bracket.

These parts were so rusty and pitted, it took me several soaks and wire-brushings to get them to the point that I could paint them.

But, I was able to get it installed this morning. YAY!

I also finished my fuel can (it's just for looks), and my tools...

This last photo is of an accelerator bracket on the Jeep 258. It was rusty and I couldn't stand to look at it anymore, so I sandblasted and painted it.

I think it's important that I keep moving forward despite setbacks. I am pretty sure the military taught me that!

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; August 24th, 2019 at 01:51 PM.