Thread: Just how good are the HUMVE tires?

Default Just how good are the HUMVE tires?

I'm building my M715 as a foul weather vehicle for the snow and ice storms we get here in Oklahoma. Just how well do the surplus tires from the Humvee work in these conditions? I have been told that they are a very hard compound that doesn't work well on ice. Just wondering what you guys think. Thanks in advance for any advice.

There are many different brands/types of humvee tires. But all are commercially available tires that you can research to determine which brand/type is best for your application.

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat.4 View Post
    I have been told that they are a very hard compound that doesn't work well on ice. Just wondering what you guys think. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    I run MT's and that's an accurate assessment. I hear the MT/Rs are substantially better, but I have no experience.

Here is a friend's M715 with MTs stuck in 37" of wet snow...

If you are getting "surplus" ones, they can be as cheap as $40 each and that is the advantage....Nothing works on ice, but it sounds like you ar looking for more of an all terrain tire than mud terrain....
    Is that real money?

The older MTs, both 36 and 37 variants, absolutely suck in the winter, and I say this from experience.

Maximum traction in bad snow/ice conditions? Chains. Then you could run the surplus 37s and not worry

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Maximum traction in bad snow/ice conditions? Chains.
    Been a long time since I drove an M715 in snow, Germany actually. That was my observation as well. "Just Do It" as the commercial said.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    The older MTs, both 36 and 37 variants, absolutely suck in the winter, and I say this from experience.

Maximum traction in bad snow/ice conditions? Chains. Then you could run the surplus 37s and not worry
    Agreed. My 37s are pretty lousy. But they're also old, so may be harder than newer tires.

I think the 37s are exactly what they're meant to be- mediocre at everything. Long life on the road, moderate traction offroad.

After sliding around for a few years, I picked up some civilian tires with sipes and studs for the winter.