Thread: rear tailgate numbers

Default rear tailgate numbers

The numbers i found look like US Army 3p26068 then under that it looks like something Calvary. The strange thing the numbers and star were black. Is this right?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBB View Post
    The numbers i found look like US Army 3p26068 then under that it looks like something Calvary. The strange thing the numbers and star were black. Is this right?
    European markings (Germany) were black on my truck. Except... the unit and truck number were still white. What the heck?

For instance...

More than likely the "P" is a "B" The letters where place holders for the thousands in the second numbering system which started with 1968 trucks. I have never seen a letter place holder higher then "H" in our series of trucks. If it is a "B" it would indicate that your truck was the 1,260th class 3 truck accepted for the year 1968 which should indicate that it is more than likely a Feb or March delivery date on the dash panel.

The black markings (subdued markings) started in Germany in the early 70's as we figured out that great big white markings stood out in a camouflage situations. Your truck would have left the factory with white markings but was repainted in Germany with subdued markings sometime in the very early 70's.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Last two numbers, 68 should indicate that your truck is a 1968 model. My truck above was a 1968 and the last two numbers were 68.

My truck in Utah was 3G3959 before they changed the numbering system.

I have been trying to upload a few pics. The numbers I can make out look like 0 or G 3p26068 the truck 32893 12/68 so it was at the end of 68. Thank You all for the help.
    Last edited by JohnBB; September 25th, 2017 at 10:34 PM.

Truck numbers confirmed they are 03p26068 the number on tailgate is the same as the number under the hood.

I agree that the "P" in your numbers doesn't seem right. I have never seen anything higher that "H" in that position. 03 is the weight class for the 1.25 ton trucks. Usual letters in the following position is G or H.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    I agree that the "P" in your numbers doesn't seem right. I have never seen anything higher that "H" in that position. 03 is the weight class for the 1.25 ton trucks. Usual letters in the following position is G or H.
    This is my truck in Germany, summer of 1970. (Disregard the red arrow)

03J27168...

Well now I have never seen anything higher than "J" in that position.