Thread: Antenna mounting

Jester Guest

Default Antenna mounting

I have a sugar scoop and standoff plate waiting for me at home. Gonna mount them on the truck this weekend. My original thought was to put the antenna mount on the back, drivers side corner of the bed. The stock location is on the passenger side toward the front of the bed.

Is there any "radio logic" as to where an antenna is placed on a vehicle? Is one spot better than any other? I plan on using the stock antenna setup for CB.

txs

The antenna was mounted there because the radio was right close by in the cab. IMHO No point in putting them way far apart. Maybe there is a tuning thing with the coax and length.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Jester from what I''ve read on the antennas was that they are spaced out. The scoop mount you have at the the left rear of the bed and the other at the right front so as not to interfere with each other. I have been planning on gutting the base out on my antenna for a CB just haven't gotten around to it. Let me know if you find one that can be hidden inside the Mil. base.
    Last edited by green goat; January 31st, 2009 at 03:40 PM.

I don't have visuals to upload at present so I'll try to make this make sense...in short all radio transmissions are in a sine wave ~ with the top hump being positive and the down hump negative. All antennas are basically the whip is the part that transmits the up hump or + and the ground plane (the car or truck) trasnmits the down hump or -. The perfect mobile solution is to have the stick in the center of the gound plane kinda like this ! with the | being the antenna stick and the . being the ground plane. This gives you a good signal radiation in all directions or 360 degs. When you mount it to the side either one you get a tranmission pattern kind of like this d or b on the oposite side. When mounted on the right (d) you get more signal to the left hand side and when mounted on the left (b) you get more signal to the right.

Now since the M715 is for the most part a soft top and the military antena is rather large mounting it on the roof dead center of the truck is well impossible. So the army chose to mount it on the side closes to the center of the truck. If you mount it in the rear of the truck you will get an egg shaped pattern with most of the signal going towards the rear of the truck. Now of course if the rear of the truck is the only place it can be mounted then that is where it would have to go. Basically you'll get a better signal out if you mount it more in the center than on the rear.

Oh CBs go from 26.965 MHz to 27.405 MHz. The AS-1729 military antenna which is the MX-6707 Base Matching Unit, AS-1720/VRC Lower 52" Antenna Element that is like a coax with inner and outer conductors and the AT-1095/VRC Upper 66" Antenna Element (fiberglass) are set to work from 30-76 MHz. What this will do is cause you to have an untuned antenna and radio sent up. This produces what is called a high standing wave ratio or SWR. This means more of the signal will be feeding back into the radio than is going out the antenna and with will cause the radio to shorten it's life span by burning out the finial transmitter IC or Transister. My recomendation would be to go with the AB-558-U antenna base with the MS-116, 117 and 118 antenna sections. (Some triming may be required to get a length around 108 inches give or take). Here is a link to the base at Fair Radio http://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php...item&item=3133

Sorry to be so winded, but there was no short answer.
    Zone holster maker

Jester Guest

FYI - I posted this in another thread. Claims that you can tune the MX-6707 down to CB freq.

http://flashoffroad.com/radio/Milant...Antenna_cb.htm