Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a damaged or unusable canvas cab top

Blog Entries

I have to say man thats very cool. Good job!!!! I'll take a black one when you are done!!! For reals!!!

Looks great. Really wish I had the time to dedicate to something like that. I'm just trying to get mine driving at this point (brakes)...lol

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Dang Al...just keep rocking!!!

What CAN1'T you do????

The dishes...

Some days are diamonds. Not today apparently. I spent the majority of the day on the top only to decide most of the day was a learning curve. Nothing big except I put blue easy release masking tape on the back window to keep from scratching it while doing some work on the sewing machine. I removed it to go in for dinner and not leave it on overnight. Well the tape ruined the window. Streaks from the adhesive. It somehow reacted with the window. They don't rub out. So now I need to replace it. It was only on for about 2 hours. Two steps forward, one back.
    I want to finish this top before making another and applying the needed changes. My patterns are needing enough changes to toss them after new ones get made. I have a lot of hours into this so far. Part of the deal. I seem to generate a lot of scrap sometimes.

That will happen when you're making a pattern from scratch. I have that problem when I'm asked to make leather garments for people. I've gotten to the point where I make a pattern and then cut and sew the pattern out of cheap cotton material, fit the person make adjustments to the material and the pattern rinse and repeat till it fits the customer and then cut and sew out of leather. You are basically doing the same thing just using up your canvas. Also don't get too wrapped up about your stitch lines. Take a close look at some GI tops and the stitch lines wave to you. LOL. Keep up the good work it's looking great!
    Zone holster maker

Quote Originally Posted by k8icu View Post
    That will happen when you're making a pattern from scratch. I have that problem when I'm asked to make leather garments for people. I've gotten to the point where I make a pattern and then cut and sew the pattern out of cheap cotton material, fit the person make adjustments to the material and the pattern rinse and repeat till it fits the customer and then cut and sew out of leather. You are basically doing the same thing just using up your canvas. Also don't get too wrapped up about your stitch lines. Take a close look at some GI tops and the stitch lines wave to you. LOL. Keep up the good work it's looking great!
    Funny, I had considered making the top from some vinyl I had left over from some FSJ door panels. I had just enough and elected to not do it. I wish I had now. But the only panels I had to toss and remake were the little side panels behind the doors. They were to short to reach all the way down to the cab. I think next time I have something like this come up, I will take your advice and make it out of something to check fit. I appreciate you mentioning the pointers. It seems there is always a lot to learn. And it really helps when someone is generous with their know how. That is exactly why I post a lot of stuff. This arena however was a new one for me. So thank you K8icu.

With that being said. I am done. With the first one anyway. I have a lot of changes to apply to the next one. Is this top perfect? No, but it sure will work. I had to make a lot of changes to get it to fit well. The front header and the back panel did not need to be reworked. But the top and the side panels pretty much kicked my butt. I just kept at it. I am not liking the plastic strap locks for the inside. They are weak and twice now I popped the thumb lever out and had to put it back. I was probably prying on it wrong trying to pull the back down. I may replace them with metal or use two hands. I also broke 4 needles replacing the back window. Not one needle issue with the rest of the project. Trying to put a new window in after the whole top was done was very difficult. Trying to wad the whole top up to fit through the machine was fun. I need to order more needles. The shop I used to get them from has closed. It is a special needle with a relief grove in it. That is where they broke being thinner.
    So my truck is very dirty. Every time I put the top on the check fit, it got dirty. So you will probably see smudges here and there.
    The next top I am making for Eightyduece. For setting me up so well for this project. I am grateful to him for being so helpful. Thanks Eightyduece.
    So, It takes me a very long time to make one. After I get his done I am back to the truck to catch up with metal work. I will consider making these later for Zone members. But not right now. Thank you for understanding.

So here it is.

Continued....
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; January 7th, 2021 at 09:30 PM.

Hopefully some of the wrinkles will come out with summer heat. I was a little concerned with the shop temps making this. I ran the heat full bore to try and build it with as much warmth as possible.

I will get some needles on order. Hopefully I won't need them. I will time myself on the next one. To see how long it takes.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by teking View Post
    I have to say man thats very cool. Good job!!!! I'll take a black one when you are done!!! For reals!!!
    I won't forget your post Teking. Lets see how the next one goes.

I know you say it's not perfect, but that looks great. If you decide to make them for forum members, please let me know.