Thread: Dana 70 pinion setting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Dana 70 pinion setting

I didn't see anything in the maintenance section (maybe I missed it) but I'm going to be doing some work on my Dana 70 in a couple weeks and I'm trying to figure some things out. I'm adding a detroit locker, HD diff cover, and a 1410 u-joint pinion yoke. My questions are: when replacing the pinion yoke, am I going to need a crush sleeve or washers? Does anybody know the preload spec? And does the '67 Dana 70 need a special pinion seal or can it use a regular seal for a newer Dana 70? thanks for the help!

@hayeselmotors

That is quite a hole in the manuals that for whatever reason I had never noticed before...all the stuff for the front axle is there but no where is the rear...not in any of the manuals I have...will look again and see if I can find...

Anyone else has it, please send me a copy of the pages and I will add them in.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Wow...found a manual I didnt remember I had and it has the info...have to leave right now to visit family but will try to get the basic info you asked for out of the book and into this thread on the way...rest to come at a later date...

at least its somewhere...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

OK...best I can do for now...hope this is legible to you...any problems with it, please let me know.

http://www.m715zone.com/jonmisc/rearaxle.pdf

This is from the Kaiser Jeep -24 manual...the original military manuals are the -20 and the -34...-20 for the stuff you can do in the field, like an engine tune up...-34 is the heavier stuff...like an engine rebuild...

Kaiser issued a set of books before the M715 was in service...typically they include both the info found in the -20 and -34 military manuals though they used the designation -24.

FYI on the manuals: ALL the military manuals for the M715 family of trucks, aka the G890 Series, start with:

TM9-2320-244

After that comes the -20 or -24 or whatever. A couple have the letter P after the number to show it is a book of parts numbers for the vehicle. The -34P is the whole G890 series parts while the -20P only has some of the parts for the series and omits others...thus only the -34P is included in our manuals section.

Will have to figure a way to put it in the manual...I no longer have the OCR program I used years ago to make the manuals...but it will get there somehow...

As far as the regular seal, not sure...but if you can get yours out and read the part number off of it, it should be easy to take to napa or somewhere and have it looked up by someone who still knows how to use a book...

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    OK...best I can do for now...hope this is legible to you...any problems with it, please let me know.

http://www.m715zone.com/jonmisc/rearaxle.pdf

This is from the Kaiser Jeep -24 manual...the original military manuals are the -20 and the -34...-20 for the stuff you can do in the field, like an engine tune up...-34 is the heavier stuff...like an engine rebuild...

Kaiser issued a set of books before the M715 was in service...typically they include both the info found in the -20 and -34 military manuals though they used the designation -24.

FYI on the manuals: ALL the military manuals for the M715 family of trucks, aka the G890 Series, start with:

TM9-2320-244

After that comes the -20 or -24 or whatever. A couple have the letter P after the number to show it is a book of parts numbers for the vehicle. The -34P is the whole G890 series parts while the -20P only has some of the parts for the series and omits others...thus only the -34P is included in our manuals section.

Will have to figure a way to put it in the manual...I no longer have the OCR program I used years ago to make the manuals...but it will get there somehow...
    That looks perfect! Thanks for the help! How many manuals do you have floating around your shop? haha.

I hope someone at the parts stores can still read a book. There are at least 2 near me that are old-school enough to still have physical parts catalogs.

@hayeselmotors

...redacted
    Last edited by Old_Red_Jeep; June 17th, 2019 at 08:28 AM. Reason: posted in wrong thread

@hayeselmotors