Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Project: In over my head (again)

I made a lot of progress today. I spent all of this morning going through the 2500's wiring harness. I removed the ABS, cruiser control, HVAC, lights, radio, and other circuits that I won't be using. The harness is a lot less menacing now that it's a bit smaller. It was still an intimidating job. Took me about 4 hours but it's done, and the engine still runs with it! I've routed it in a little bit but I expect to modify it some as time goes on.

All the engine harness stacked on the engine.

The gauges, ignition system, and OBD2 port. I'll change out the cluster for individual gauges later.

the lovely rat's nest I removed

I also couldn't wait any longer so I put the front end back on!

Having the engine run plus the front end back together is a huge morale boost! It feels like I'm working on an actual truck again! The engine fits nicely but the front is still tight.

I'll probably need to remove the threads on the water pump pulley to make room for a radiator.

I also need to fix the radiator mounts as I go. A prior owner had done quite the hack-job before me. I really think I may be able to get it driving by the end of summer or early fall!

Also, my driveshafts came in!

@hayeselmotors

Yesterday I was able to work on the fuel tank a bit. I cleaned it all up and painted it with the chassis saver paint that I used on the frame. When I was installing the module, if I use the o-ring, I have trouble getting the retaining ring to thread correctly. It jumps off the thread. If I don't use it, it's fine. I may use sealant instead of the rubber o-ring when I install it for good. Next on the list of projects is basically everything. I want to focus on the power steering, power brakes, cooling system, and A/C system. Once I get all that sorted out, I can focus on the rear end and maybe test drive it!

before

after

@hayeselmotors

It's been a busy week this week at work and home but I've still managed to make a little progress on the truck. This week my reproduction rhino grille came in from a gentleman over on the ifsja forum. It looks pretty good! I can't wait to get it mounted and painted.

I also ordered a bunch of steering parts, cooling parts, and brake parts from summit and most of it came in yesterday. I was able to finally test fit the thing that I've been dreading, the radiator. Luckily, it fits like a glove!

There's enough room between it and the engine (I'm going to use a pusher fan) and it shouldn't take much fabricating to make it work.

I got an aluminum 3-pass radiator to hopefully keep the V10 cool enough. I need to weld in the driver's side radiator brace then a friend of mine will TIG on some tabs to the radiator so I can mount it where the 715's radiator originally mounted.

After that, I want to piece together the brake system and steering system so I can have all of the engine accessories and engine bay sorted out. I still am on the fence about putting A/C in it. It would be nice, but I'm not sure I have the room for a condenser in front of the radiator.

@hayeselmotors

What application is that radiator for?
    It looks perfect in there!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    What application is that radiator for?
    It looks perfect in there!!
    It's a Summit 3 pass radiator.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-380325-3
    It worked for me but that might be because a previous owner had cut out the driver's side radiator mount. I think Summit makes a couple different radiators with slightly smaller widths but I really wanted the triple pass. They're also completely smooth and don't have any mounting brackets or surfaces.

Speaking of, Last night I was able to fabri-cobble together the driver's side radiator support. I used a sheet of 1/8" steel and a section of angle iron. It's simple but should be effective. Now I just need to TIG some aluminum brackets onto the radiator to mount up.

the brace itself

holding it in place

Welded in and ground down for smoothness

It seems to fit really well.

I was also able to swap out the fuel injector on cylinder 4 and it's running normally now! I may be able to get the truck driving in a month!

@hayeselmotors

NICE!!!
    I love what you are doing here!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    NICE!!!
    I love what you are doing here!
    Thanks!

I've been slowly chipping away at the 715 as time allows. Last weekend has some extremely nasty weather most of the time and it knocked out my power. Plus, who wants to be in a garage in a sever thunderstorm with 80mph winds? haha. When the weather finally broke, I took my radiator over to my buddy's place so he could TIG on some mounting tabs.

After that, I painted the face of the radiator with paint from Eastwood to try to hide the fact that I have a large engine in the truck.

After doing that, I also painted the engine bay with the same rust-inhibitor that I coated the frame and firewall with.

On top of all this, I even managed to get the brake pedal installed and the pushrod fabricated. It looks like it will all work.

Once I get my proportioning valve in, I can finish the brakes. next will be the steering and the clutch. I need to figure out how to sneak a master cylinder onto the clutch pedal where there was never supposed to be one. After that, I'll tidy up the wiring a bit more, rebuild the axles, install the driveshafts, then maybe, just maybe, be able to give it a test drive!

@hayeselmotors

Digging the build! Keep it up man. Looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by jhartings View Post
    Digging the build! Keep it up man. Looking good.
    Thanks man!

@hayeselmotors

Yes, it looks great! Love the unique engine selection.