Thread: turn signal wiring

Default turn signal wiring

I'm putting a harness from American Autowire in the 715 and it took me about an hour comparing their harness diagrams to the 715 wiring so I can splice in the 3 lever headlight switch and the turn signal switch.
    I'm kinda stumped on 1 thing, the location of the flasher. The 715 wiring shows the flasher having an input and output directly to the T/S switch. The harness I have has the flasher mounted in the fuse box with an output to send power to the T/S switch.

Can I use the harness flasher and connect its outgoing power to the T/S switch's main power in and jump the flasher leads of the switch together?
    Can I wire the harness flasher outgoing power to where the T/S switch would be receiving power from the original flasher and bypass its main power input?
    OR, will the two not play well and I have to go back to the original power into the switch and a flasher connected to the original I/O legs of the T/S switch?

I've got the operation theory diagram and the original wiring harness diagrams but not sure how to proceed.
    715 wiring.jpg
    AAW diag.jpg

I just accomplished a diagnostics test of my turn signal switch and electronic flasher unit because they didn't work. It all tested out okay and when I reassembled the circuits it worked. I'm guessing the problem was a bad connection that was preventing a clean operation. When I tested the turn signal switch I found that the turn signal circuits were separate from the emergency flasher circuit. Not sure what turn signal switch you have. There is a diagram of the turn signal circuitry on the Technical Resource page. If you can't find it PM me and I can send it to you. Good Luck with the restoration. I can't wait to drive my 1967 M725.

Stock system gets it power from the 3 lever. If you still want the blinkers to be connected to the 3 lever, run it that way. However, your brake lights will also have to go through the 3 lever as well since the brakes go through the blinker circuit.

If you want to separate the blinkers from the 3 lever so they are only hot with the key is on. Then you will also have to run the brakes through the turn signal system .

Notice how the stock system has wire 75 and wire 75A at terminals A and K on the 3 lever? One is power and the other is the signal. Then terminals J and L use wires A/460/461 and 22 to get the signal/power to the turn signal system. Terminals F and H on the turn signal switch go to the flasher box with wires 467A and 467B. That interrupts the brake signal when the flashers are on.

So, which way you want the 3 lever to work has to be figured out first. Just headlights and black out lights for show with blinkers anytime the key is on no matter the 3 lever position? Or, normal military 3 lever operation? If normal full 3 lever operation of everything. Just put power to pin F on the 3 lever and hook everything else up like stock.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Stock system gets it power from the 3 lever. If you still want the blinkers to be connected to the 3 lever, run it that way. However, your brake lights will also have to go through the 3 lever as well since the brakes go through the blinker circuit.

If you want to separate the blinkers from the 3 lever so they are only hot with the key is on. Then you will also have to run the brakes through the turn signal system .

Notice how the stock system has wire 75 and wire 75A at terminals A and K on the 3 lever? One is power and the other is the signal. Then terminals J and L use wires A/460/461 and 22 to get the signal/power to the turn signal system. Terminals F and H on the turn signal switch go to the flasher box with wires 467A and 467B. That interrupts the brake signal when the flashers are on.

So, which way you want the 3 lever to work has to be figured out first. Just headlights and black out lights for show with blinkers anytime the key is on no matter the 3 lever position? Or, normal military 3 lever operation? If normal full 3 lever operation of everything. Just put power to pin F on the 3 lever and hook everything else up like stock.
    So I can bring power from the 3 lever switch into the T/S switch via pin G and then wire a 2 prong flasher between F and H ?

And yes, I'm trying to keep the lighting system operationally stock.

All my wire diagrams are at work. I will look again Tuesday to confirm, but I think yes on what you wrote.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw