Thread: rpgdeity : Engine Help!

Default rpgdeity : Engine Help!

Engine Help!
    Post by rpgdeity on Apr 17, 2006, 12:02am

Alright, so I am out in the shop working on my Jeep as we speak. I need some help. I hope there is somebody here who has worked on the 230, because I'm hoping they will be able to tell what I'm trying to ask, lol. I'll try to add pics, hope it works.

Anyway, I'm working on many things, but right now I'm working on replacing the oil pan gasket. So I dropped the oil pan and started peeling the gasket away. I came to find out that there is "filler block" (thats what the manual calls it) in the way. Well to make a long story short, it appears to me that I would have to pull this thing away from the timing chain cover in the front. I'm worried that I will ruin the timing cover gasket right there and then replacing the oil pan gasket to stop leaks kinda seems stupid.

So anybody replaced the oil pan gasket before? Do I have to pulll this thing off, or should I snip the oil pan gasket to just fit next to this block? If attaching the pic I want will work, its item number 28, which is items number 29 and 30. I have a new gasket (29), I'm wondering about number 30. Anyway, I hope somebody can help me out. I'd like to finish this tonight, but I'll see how fast I get a response. I'd appreciate any help.

Default xtreme :

Re: Engine Help!
    Post by xtreme on Apr 17, 2006, 12:37am

I took the oil pans of both of mine without a problem, it just unbolts like a regular pan.

Default rpgdeity :

Post by rpgdeity on Apr 17, 2006, 12:49am

Alright, the oil pan is off, but the front most part of the oil pan gasket is in between the bottom of the block and this "filler block" thing. Did you unbolt and pull that out in order to change your gasket?

Here is the whole underside of the engine.

Here is a close up.

In order to remove this block, I would have to undo 4 bolts from the bottom of the timing cover, and then try to pry this block out. I just know that the gasket is going to tear.

So the ultimate question then is should I cut the oil pan gasket, or cut a new peice for the timing cover gasket?

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Apr 17, 2006, 8:58am

I wouldnt remove that as long as the material that is sandwiched there looks good, not all cracked or messed up...

Use the rest of the pan gasket and put it together and see what happens...if its been sandwhiched in there since new and its that much to get at, which I know it is, I would do without messing it and see if it leaks before I tore into all that...and I did do it that way on mine when I replaced the rear main seal...the rear filler block is involved there...but the front of the oil pan gasket, of course, is the same as yours.

Default xtreme :

Post by xtreme on Apr 17, 2006, 11:50am

Think I used black RTV on both sides of the gasket, just a small amount. I guess the gaskets had been off mine before because I didn't need to cut anything... no leaks.

Default rpgdeity :

Post by rpgdeity on Apr 17, 2006, 12:08pm

Alright, thanks. I'll go for cutting the pan gasket and see what happens.