Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: awest : New Member Seeks Answers

Default awest : New Member Seeks Answers

New Member Seeks Answers
    Post by awest on Aug 9, 2006, 3:09pm

Hello everyone. I am Adam and i am new to this group. I have just recently purchased a 68 M-715 Cargo Truck. I have read through your forums and went through many pics. But some of the answers that i am looking for i still cant find. Any help would be appreciated. First of all I have a new drive train for this unit. its a modified AMC 360 going to a B&M TFT727 with shift kit attached to a Dana 300 with twin stick and 4:1 Teralow kit. I already have the full rebuild kits for both front and rear axles and air lockers front and rear. What i am looking for is Lift. Up front i would like to do a shackle reversal and SOA. Maybe add a few leafs to it as well. In the rear i am stumped. I am wanting to lift the truck with out any use of blocks. has anyone done this. All in all i am looking to be able to put some nice 44's under it to work well with my hydro steering. Also Where is a good source to locate some different rims with more back spacing. These are just a few of the questions that i have, and would appreciate any help on it. Thanks. Adam West.

Default porkchop :

Re: New Member Seeks Answers
    Post by porkchop on Aug 9, 2006, 3:14pm

Welcome. Adam West, how many times have you been called Batman, LOL? What axles are you running?

Default awest :

Post by awest on Aug 9, 2006, 3:46pm

hey pork, i am running the stock dana 60front/dana 70 rear. I was considering rockwells but way to costly

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Aug 9, 2006, 4:01pm

For the cost of custom rims you can almost have a set of CUCV (70s-80s GM 14 Bolt/D60) axles and have your choice of cheaper 8 lug rims. Plus you will end up with axles much stronger than the 715s D70 & D60. Especially if you are going to lift it and have the axles out anyway. Other than that, Stazworks, Stockton Wheel, Marsh Racing, and our own on site wheel fab guy, Bob Cowan.
    No common lift kits will work, I suggest custom springs for more lift.

Default thetroublemaster :

Post by thetroublemaster on Aug 9, 2006, 4:02pm

Air lockers?? I want some.... :^))) Just kidding adam. Welcome aboard!! So far as we know air lockers are not availible for our factory 60/70. Do you know something we don't? LOL.

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Aug 9, 2006, 4:06pm

Yes, if you don't already know, our D70 has a weird offset pinion and common diffs do not work. There is a Detroit available for our 70 though, the front I think has similar compatibility issues.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Aug 9, 2006, 4:10pm

Dana 300 might be a bit light for these trucks....have to wait and see...depends how you use it....

I doubt you will need to add any leaves....most take out one or 2....

Springover in front....in the rear, see image below....flip #25 and grind the rivets from the plate behind #7 and flip that plate over and reattach....no lifting blocks needed wih stock suspension:

These mods will give 5.5 inches roughly....wont clear 44's, especially in front without trimming....

Wheels....

Stockton Wheel: http://stocktonwheel.com/
    Diamond Racing Wheels: http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Aug 9, 2006, 4:30pm

That is why I was wondering what axles you were running, 44's do not go well with stock axles.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Aug 9, 2006, 8:34pm

also power locks are available for the dana 70 rear and 60 fronts in these trucks i got em in stock the front is the same as all dana 60,s that are low pinion. rear shafts are 1 1/2" thick

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Aug 9, 2006, 10:13pm

Quote:
    Dana 300 might be a bit light for these trucks

X2... Agreed... 205, a 203/205 doubler, or a Stak box would all be better solutions.