Thread: 4l80E and 205 transplant question

Default 4l80E and 205 transplant question

This seems to be a good, strong, replacement, With OD, if you are wanting to run an Auto.

I would have to use a transgo maual valve body ($300) and am told that it takes 10hrs. to install for a guy who installs these frequently. There are alot od mods to be made so it will work.

I can get 4l80e, adapter,and 205 for $800.

So it looks like total cost would be $800+$300+$install.

Any help from someone who has considered or done it, please post up.

Also, $800 for the setup , which is very hard to find seems reasonable to me.
    What do you think?

Have not done this swap , but cost seems good . Just the core charge on the 4L80E's I change out is $700. This is a pretty reliable trans , most of my fleet has it behind a 6.5 diesel and not many problems come up .

I'm using a 2wd 4l80e & tbi 350 w/ a divorced 205 in mine. will be using the ECU and steering column as well. The combination gets pretty long so will have to use electric fans.

Chris,
    $1000 is a good price for a NV4500 with all the bellhousing and stuff. A clutch/flywheel/pressure plate still needs to be found after that.

If you are getting a 4L80E with lockup converter and having the valve body changed for $800 or so, it is a great deal. If you want an auto that is.

Just mind your electonics and mount the biggest cooler you can find. Joe/IA runs a 700R4 with the same work you are talking about done to it behind a 454. It does amazing things on hillsides compared to the manuals and he reports only good things about it.

Sounds like a great find.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I am told by the people that sell the manual valve body ,once installed, you will no longer have a "locking convertor" .

Is this good?, bad ?, doesnt matter ? and please explain.

Chris,
    I don't remember what kind of vehicle you drive daily. It was a white car, right? I just don't remember what it was. I was pretty tired by the time we met. But, say it is an automatic. Say it is a 4 speed auto matic. If you watch the tach as you drive, you should be able to count through the gears. But, if you are driving at a steady speed above about 35 mph, you will see the tach drop another 100-300 rpm like it shifted into a 5th gear. That was the lock up torque converter working.

A normal torque converter can best be explained as two fans sitting facing each other. If you turn one of them (engine) on, it will blow air at the other one and the other one (Transmission) will start to spin. But, it will never spin as fast as the "engine" fan. Substitute transmission fluid for air and that is how a converter works.

A lock up converter works exactly the same way. But, it has a clutch that locks the two "fans" together. Just like an a/c clutch locks on and off to drive the compressor. A functioning lock up will reduce your engine rpm, eliminate slip in the converter, reduce transmission heat, give you better performance and better milage.

I think the valve body kit eliminates the auto matic lock up of the converter. You can still run a wire to the transmission so you can lock it up with a switch. You just have to use the lock up inside the speed and gear paramaters it was meant to be used or it will burn up very fast.

This make sense?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

B+M told me some years back that the lockup converter reduces the RPM by about 5-7% typically..thus lowering the RPM that amount and thus reducing the slippage by that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Chris,
    I don't remember what kind of vehicle you drive daily. It was a white car, right? I just don't remember what it was. I was pretty tired by the time we met. But, say it is an automatic. Say it is a 4 speed auto matic. If you watch the tach as you drive, you should be able to count through the gears. But, if you are driving at a steady speed above about 35 mph, you will see the tach drop another 100-300 rpm like it shifted into a 5th gear. That was the lock up torque converter working.

A normal torque converter can best be explained as two fans sitting facing each other. If you turn one of them (engine) on, it will blow air at the other one and the other one (Transmission) will start to spin. But, it will never spin as fast as the "engine" fan. Substitute transmission fluid for air and that is how a converter works.

A lock up converter works exactly the same way. But, it has a clutch that locks the two "fans" together. Just like an a/c clutch locks on and off to drive the compressor. A functioning lock up will reduce your engine rpm, eliminate slip in the converter, reduce transmission heat, give you better performance and better milage.

I think the valve body kit eliminates the auto matic lock up of the converter. You can still run a wire to the transmission so you can lock it up with a switch. You just have to use the lock up inside the speed and gear paramaters it was meant to be used or it will burn up very fast.

This make sense?
    Yes it does !!! Thanks for the education.