Thread: Finally started on my truck

Default Finally started on my truck

I've had my M715 for about 2 years now (#22241) but due to the current deployment schedules, I havent had much time at all to play with it. So after 2 years I have finally got it in my garage. As soon as I figure out how to put pictures on, I will. I have been watching and reading this forum for the last two years, and there have been a lot of posts that have helped me figure out the direction to take this truck. Thanks for your help so far, and I am sure I will be asking questions again soon.

Congrats, and yes please post up lots of pictures. WE like pictures. Glad you made it home safe, now get to having some fun on building that truck.

Cool! Good to have you on board, ludwikowski! And thanks for the Serial number. Can you confirm the delivery date is 4-68 for our VIN collection? And with or without winch?

If you need help posting pics, check out the "Ultimate picture-posting help" or something like that. It's a Sticky in the Open forum. It's getting a little old and ImageShack has changed a few things, so if you run into a wall, let me know and I'll update it as needed.

So, what direction have you decided to go with your truck? Stock restoration? Modified? What's the plan?!
    -- Tim Taylor

It isnt 4-68, but looks like 3-68, however it could also possibly be 8-68, but didnt get marked hard enough. It does have the PTO winch on it, but I am looking to sell that in the near future.
    My plans for the truck are more along modified, but on the conservative side. When I bought it two years ago, it already had a 350 in it, but with the stock transmission and transfer case. I want to get a 700R4 and transfer case to put in it. Other than that, power steering and disc brakes on the front and I will be all set. From the factory this truck was awesome, and I dont really feel like changing too much about it, that is why I bought it instead of another CJ.

I hear you man!
    War got in the way of my M715 resto as well. The last thing I wanted to do after a year in Iraq was work on a military truck,but now it's time.
    My Veteran plate on my M715 is "VBIED"

Welcome home brother! Now get your as crackin on that thing!

Welcome ludwikowski. Its good to know that there's another M715 and fellow "zoner" nearby. Let me know if you need any parts or pieces as I have a handfull without a home. Maybe work a trade for that winch setup? I got a Warn on my M715 that my CJ7 has been screaming for. Either way id like to check out your rig next time im fishing down your way. PM me if you like. Thanks and welcome again, Jay.

nice another cali m715.

so whats the word, are you going to restore it, or lift it and wheel it?

what drivetran set up
    my signature is sweet huh?

I dont plan to lift it much but I will wheel it. I had a 76 CJ5 that I had done a lot of work to. Now I need another offroading vehicle that I can take out there and just have fun with. I want to keep it road legal though, so I am not going to go too crazy with it. I have a 350 in it now, and I want to get a 700R4 and transfer case to put in it. Mostly for the overdrive gear. Other than that, I figure it will be all set. I still want to do something about the brakes, as the drum's are just not enough to make me feel safe when I am driving. Discs are the way to go I think, unless I can find a deal on another axle that already has discs in it. I like the truck the way it is, and I dont think it really needs to be modified to be awesome. When that thing was parked for the last 2 years, I would still see people walk past it and check it out.

Get it ready in time for the National FE next June. It will be held in Buena Vista, Colorado, this time, so we west-coasters have a shot at going! (We'll need a strong turn-out or this will likely be the last National close enough for us to go to!)
    -- Tim Taylor