Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.2 where a big block chevy was? sm 465

Default 6.2 where a big block chevy was? sm 465

can i bolt up a 6.2 diesel where a big block chevy is right now?

Sm465 tranny

Yep. same bellhousing pattern and engine mounts

You might not like the 465 behind your 6.2, the gearing is set up for a gasser. Try to drive one before you swap to form your own opinion.

465 is low geared. i put a 6.2 with a 465 in mine and i dont think ill be going over 55 in mine. if i can hit 55 that will be amazing.

the flywheels are different too. just if you didnt know. they will bolt up i think but the ballencing is different
    my signature is sweet huh?

You might look into a ranger gear splitter to stick between the engine and transmission.

ive already got a ranger overdrive in there! So will i still be able to use everything from the big block setup even though the balancing is different?

So besides a hydro booster setup from a cucv how can i keep my power brakes when i switch over to the diesel?
    Last edited by res0wc18; April 28th, 2009 at 05:29 PM.

465 was offered from GM with the 6.2 in front of it...
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

res0wc18,

I got your PM which I appreciate as your friendly neighbor to the north, but thought I would reply publicly as I thought maybe my experiences would interest others also.

My 6.2 did not come from a CUCV but I think that would be a good source. Seems like it would be easy to convert to all 12v by changing the starter and glowplugs. Mine came from an '84 1-Ton Van which meant everything was already 12 volts. It also had an automatic tranny, the same as the CUCV, which meant I had to change to a regular flywheel if I was going to use a manual transmission. I was told that flywheels from other Gas engines would bolt on, but the counterweights are not correct and only a flywheel from a 6.2 or 6.5 will work correctly. The clutch disk and pressure plates are interchangeable but you should stick to heavy duty ones to handle the torque. Also in switching to manual, you will need to add a pilot bushing into the end of the crankshaft which I was also told that not all 6.2 autos were drilled out correctly, but mine worked just fine.

As for gearing, my truck had the stock 5.88's and stock tranny, but my tires were well balanced 44's and the truck seemed to go as fast as I ever wanted it to go. I didn't stop to calculate the rpms, but I'm sure it was fast, but I would say it felt smooth. I've been told the 6.2's with their shorter stroke will handle the higher rpm's better the the longer stroke 6.5. With an ATS turbo and turned up fuel injector pump, it seemed like plenty of power and speed for practical driving.

As for noise and vibration, my motor mounts were solid steel which I assume transferred more vibration, but I did not find it excessive. With the top down or a cloth top is was very quiet. With a fiberglass hard top it was very noisy inside the cab. I would think with some thick floor mats and padding inside the hardtop, the noise would be tolerable. Besides, A lot of people putting in diesels, do it partly for the sound and smell anyway, it being a good choice for an economic well performing engine for a vehicle of that size.

Good luck on your project, maybe we will see each other someday.

Rollie

Rollie,

Yes the truck i have now has a 454 bbc, ranger overdrive, 465 and np205.

I am debating on converiting it to a hummer 6.2 or just leaving it and putting a propane kit on it. Even when the gas prices were super high i still bought it for under 2 bucks a gallon. Plus this way i can put a remote mount turbo on the BBC and not blow it up.

Do we know anyone in Washington that can give a deal on some sandblasting/ painting?

Or do we know someone that has a blaster? I have a huge compressor. The other option is renting the blaster but the media is super expensive unless you buy direct from the four or five companys around and most of the time they dont want anything to do with a single person.

About the blaster...Harbor Fright has 3 different media pots for use with blasting agents for about 100 bucks. I have a 60 gal. compressor with the medium sized pot. Even tho' the compressor runs almost constantly it has enough umph to do the job. Long story short, I've been using Black Diamond sand sold by Tractor supply. It's only 7.00 for a 50lb bag, and I can get about 20 minutes per bag. Works good, it's cheap and I don't have to pay 500 bucks to blast my truck like I did last time. If you have a Tractor Supply Company nearby it may be worth looking into.
    Last edited by brute4c; May 7th, 2009 at 07:50 AM.