Thread: Power Steering w/stock 230

Default Power Steering w/stock 230

Has anyone done this? It may be able to be done if you fab brackets for the pump? I already have a GM alternator on mine above the generator for my 12 volt lights.

Just curious if anyone has done this and if they can post pics...

I know somebody has, and I'm in the same boat you are, so let's hope some pics are forthcoming.

I put a GM Saginaw pump on my 230 about 4 years ago. I never had the stock alternator. but, I did have the engine side of the alternator bracket. I used a SBC short water pump power steering pump bracket (the kind that bolts to the front of the engine SBC motor mounts, not the side of the engine motor mounts.) I tied it into the 230 alternator bracket. I put a GM 12si alternator up high by the intake manifold. Basically used those two bolts on the timing cover just below the valve cover to hold it. I then tied the alternator and ps pump together with a piece of 1"x1/4 strap I had cut a groove in. That strap metal allowed me to adjust the belts.

I was getting some vibrations with that setup and made another strap. This allowed me to adjust each one individually. I ran it like this until I pulled the engine out in APR of 05.

Jon has some pictures of a ps pump mounted on the passenger side of a 230 next to and below the fuel pump. I don't remember who did it or how. Here are the only two pictures I could find of mine.

Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

thanks!

Pages 5, 6 and 7 have some pics of my power steering install using some sort of GM pump with a saginaw steering box. i just fabbed up the top and bottom bracket from pieces from the pump i used. the bottom bracket is on the alternator slider and the top bolts to the two bolts on the front of the head.
    http://groups.msn.com/FASTRATPORTING...ah.msnw?Page=5

One member had mounted a modern style pump, with remote reservoir, on a plate at the bottom of the fan shroud with the pulley on the engine side and the body of the unit toward the radiator. The remote reservoir was on the fender. I think it was out of a Ford...but that may be wrong...

On the motor I recently acquired, there is a thick plate with 2 holes drilled in it that is at an angle on the passenger top of the motor...above the fuel/vacuum pump...will have to look at the mounting locations and figure how much room left to the hood...not sure what was mounted to its 2 holes...plate is an easy ¼ inch thick...maybe more...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

i put ps on after the first trip home with flintstones steering i used a saginaw box of a late 70s j truck the box is a direct bolt on with no mods including the pitman arm it took very little time the pump however was a different story theres not a lot of spare bolt holes that i thought would be good enough to bolt to but i did get it done ill post pics as soon as i get it figured out ps it does leave one steering box hole hanging in the air i am going to modify for that hole before i do any serious wheeling tho

Jon that plate was for the pump that ran the snow plow that was on the truck it cam out of.

Tom

Thanks Tom...I speculated it may have been for that very purpose....maybe you said as much and I forgot...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!