Thread: Grill Gaurd

Default Grill Gaurd

Asking this as a general question. Do you think there would a decent market if i was to start building stock looking grill gaurds for these trucks? I am already going to be building some brush gaurds on the side for various trucks. My father is going into the powdercoating business and all of the items i sold would be powdercoated. (if asked to) This is just going to be as a hobbie so i would not be cranking out massive numbers. Just a few here and there, plus i enjoy fabbing. I would more than likely start making a few around the beginning of February, that's if the other projects and work dosen't get in the way. I'm sure you guys know how that goes.

I know that Fisherman made one for himself and as soon as he posted it he had four or five guys saying hey can you make me one too..... His was with square stock though and it looks good, but it isn't stock or "OEM". So yeah if you were to make them out of tubing so that they looked and fit like an original and at a price that wouldn't make ones wallet commit suicide then yes I believe you would have orders to keep you busy.
    Zone holster maker

Fisherman's was very nice. I beleive he said he had sold them for around $200? Can't remember. I would not be trying to make a killing, just some spare change. I think being able to powdercoat which ever color you desired would be nice also.

If you can build them for less than $200.00 I'd be surprised as steel prices have gone through the roof. There is a lot of time involved as well. I think with the proper jigs you might get one down to 4 hours. Build a jig first. You'll thank yourself later.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I think you'd definitely sell a few of them. Almost all of them you see are dented or creased here or there, and someone restoring to original would most likely be in the market.

Yeah Fisherman i would definetly build a jig. The biggest thing i am contemplating is the mounting brakets due to i recall you saying there seemed to be some variance in the distance between mounting surfaces from truck to truck. My father is refirbishing an extremly large building and he has quite a bit of mild steel tubing ranging from 1/2" to 3" so i should be able to build a few cheap. He as well has a few friends that buy a sell steel, but you are right about the price of steel rocketing.

A tubing bender and jig of some sort will be a must to reproduce the factory tube grill guards. I seriously thought about making them similiar to stock. But the fact that my truck is not stock and it was easier to produce something stronger than stock was how I ended up with the ones I've built. Also another fellow Zone member Binford talked me into it. It was a learning experience, but I think they came out ok. The mounting tabs will have to be done loose or welded on after the fact of fitment per truck. I will be bolting my mounting tabs on in the future. Much easier and then I'll have adjustment. It is pretty easy to drill and tape the solid flat stock of my brushguards. Good luck and post up some pictures as you progress.

I have a small bender that i could use or i could buy a few mandrel bent 90's and 45's for the bends and then everything else would be a straight shot(somewhat). When i finally get home I will use my grill as a template and see what i can do. Since my father is a machinist/engineer for an aeronautical defense contractor for the last 24 years i will be sure to pick his brain and get a good jig made up. I do think the Gaurds you made would be stronger and they are very nice but i would not mind making some spare money on the side. Plus if i am making money at it my wife will have one less reason to complain about me being in the shop and not in the house with her. i will be sure to post pics of the progress..

That's what I thought. What little money you make you will spend that and then some on your truck. Also making brushguards will take time away from your truck. Which is not a good thing. Also you will probably find that there is just a handfull of guys willing to pay to buy a new brushguard. Not that the M truck guys are cheap, they are just more willing to do what I or you will be doing. Make their own brushguard. Anyways I hope you have success. I built just enough guards to make myself realize it wasn't worth it. Would I build some more? Only when my truck is finished and someone wanted them. Anyhow make sure you post up some pics.