Thread: U-joint tools

I've used the old hammer and socket method and a vice. Has anyone used one of the specialty tools? I think I remember seeing one being mentioned in either JP or Petersons, but I can't remember when. My truck has the tendency to eat u-joints, so if the tool works, it would be nice to have on the trail- thankfully they have always gone out on a paved road. Thanks for any info!!-gonz
    P.S. I am going to replace the axles in the future, so I don't want to spend a lot of time or effort in trying to fix the problem right now, but would rather change out u-joints.

Default Re: FE Convoy from NC/SC/VA area

better than the tool.. would be finding out why your truck eats joints. Suntin' aint' right! lol
    **I heart Bump_r **

Default Convoy of anyone traveling through Memphis or on I-40

I assume you are asking about the tool that looks like a huge c-clamp. They do work slick, especially if you have compressed air and a impact to drive it with. Spins them out in nothing flat with less of a chance of screwing up the yokes.

EDIT: Just wanted to add to this...over jealous smacks using the hammer/socket method can knock the ears on the yoke out of square...causing rapid wear on your you joints. A good machine shop should be able to check them to see if this is the case.
    Last edited by Doug; June 25th, 2007 at 01:03 PM.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Doug is right, although I'm normally changing them in BFE with no impact available.I got mine from Snap-On.Pricey, but well worth it and its a quality tool.I've learned to just change U-joints from time to time, instead of letting them fatigue.This way I get it done when its convenient and I have my impact.Nice, huh.

I've always used the hammer/socket routine with good results. If you have a clamp on vise, you could stick one of them in the bed of the truck and use the sockets in a BIG vise to drive em out.

IIRC, the specialized tool was about $300 when it was featured in Jp a year or two ago. Unless it's REALLY REALLY cold and I was dumb and didn't go wheelin' with a buddy, I can't see it being worth it. My .02

Ethan

I bought an OTC ball and U joint tool several years ago , Brand new for less than $100.00 . It has paid for itself several times. My buddy bought an off brand (made in china) look alike from one of these traveling tool venders. I think he paid about $20 for it. It also works good on U joints but I wouldn't want to do ball joints with it. M1028
    If your not breakin\' something - Your NOT makin\' enough torque !!

Yup, I use a ball-joint press (C-clamp affair) on mine. You GOTTA be careful to align the cups just right before you dive 'em home - it's pretty easy to booger up a yoke.
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

I agree with you Tacoma, I should find out what gives on the Ujoints. But I'm planning on a 14 bolt rear and putting in a 205, so I really don't want to spend the little time I get now on something that will be work lost after the swaps, especially with the low miles I'm putting on the truck right now. I'll take a look at Harbor Freight for a balljoint/ujoint tool.
    I do go wheeling when it's really cold sometimes, and just thinking about swinging a hammer in gloves while the snot is freezing in my face does not sound appealing. If I can get a tool to help myself or a friend or some joe I don't know on the trail, it's worth it.
    Thanks for the info, guys!!- gonz
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun