Thread: carmen : Getting Bolt Out

Default carmen : Getting Bolt Out

Getting Bolt Out
    Post by carmen on Sept 12, 2006, 9:40am

Started on taking apart the M715. Was taking off the doors and the bolt that holds the hinges for door seems to be stripped. It is the bolt that is inside the cowl. We did take the door off by taking off the bolts that were inside the door itself, but we still need to get that bolt out. There is no way to get it from the front side or from inside the cab, at least anyway that I can see. Any ideals???????????

Thanks

Carmen

Default porkchop :

Re: Getting Bolt Out
    Post by porkchop on Sept 12, 2006, 10:45am

Sounds like the anchored nut broke loose. Is it the top or the bottom bolt? You should be able to get to the bottom bolt through the access panel on the side by the dimmer switch. From what I can remember but I don't have the truck at work so can't look for sure.

Default carmen :

Post by carmen on Sept 12, 2006, 10:57am

It is the top bolt. I tried putting pressure on it by pulling on the hinge but that did not work. Sooooo. I have to get it out so I can fix it, it is on the drivers side so that door will be getting a lot of use. Short of cutting a hold any other ideals.

Thanks

Carmen

Default wrecker :

Post by wrecker on Sept 12, 2006, 11:13am

Cutting the head off woith a die grinder is probably going to be the best bet since you can't get to the back side. The nut and remainder of the bolt should then fall down to where you can retrieve them. There are fasteners available that will go into a hole such as what you'll have left and allow you to tighten a bolt to them but since it's the door and will see a lot of stress, you may be better off removing whatever you have to to repair it correctly.

Default carmen :

Post by carmen on Sept 12, 2006, 11:59am

Thanks for the ideals, I never thought about the grinder. Once I get it out the right thing to do is cut a piece of back panel and make the proper repairs.

Thanks again

Carmen

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Sept 12, 2006, 12:19pm

Carmen, you could drill the hole larger and weld a nut in from the front, or a threaded insert instead of cutting the panel.

Default carmen :

Post by carmen on Sept 12, 2006, 12:51pm

What a GREAT idea. In a little over an hour I figured out how to get the bolt out - with the grinder - and how to repair the bolt - by welding in a new nut from the inside.

THANKS and THANKS again

Carmen

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Sept 12, 2006, 1:10pm

http://www.rivetnuttool.com/

I have a different brand, but same principle. VERY handy with stuff like this, but pricely for just a one time use.
    I think mines is called "Tric Nut" but couldn't find any info on the net. Not near the case right now or I would check. Instead of the sliding wedge, mine has a tool much like your standard rivet gun.

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Sept 12, 2006, 2:48pm

The rivet versions are avaiable at Harbor freight.