Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ring+ Pinion?

I agree with what was posted above...check the diff for a loose pinion bearing/worn bearing condition...then take a good hard look at the spider gears as well. Either will require removal of the diff assembly to properly examine and confirm the cause of the chipped gear/clean debri..if you find nothing wrong just smooth the chipped area as was suggested, and go about life.

as a note... I know a few places still have the 4.88's in stock for the older Dana 70's as I was just recently talking to a gent that ordered a set for a old Dodge...but I have no idea who he bought them from. around 1974 or older Dodge trucks with a rear 70 will have the correct offset R & P for your axle and they were commonly built with 4.88 gears also, if a used set is in order....front 4.88's for the Dana 60 are a little harder to find..but mid 60's Ford 3/4 ton 4x4's used 4.88's and a rear R & P from one of these would fit your front diff nicely... and if you get lucky you may fine one with a power-lok limmited slip as well..

NoRM

The truck is scheduled to get a ring and pinion swap this summer. There is a local guy that has been building rears and transmissions for over 40 years. He says he can get the 4.88's from Reider Racing. I'll post the info. when I get it. Mike

Hey Mike, go to Randy's Ring and Pinion site and play with their rpm calculator. 5.87's, 44's should net you sixty under 3000 rpm. Check it out...
    Big Blocks RULE!

I'm only running 37's. 5.87's+ $2.40/gallon fuel+ heavy right foot= angry pool builder. 4.88's will be the happy medium. Mike.

44 inch tires with 5.87 gears is almost exactly the same rpm at 60 as 4.56 on the stock 34 inch tire....all depends what you want, but just as a point of reference.

brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I would really like 44's, but the canvas just scuffs the garage opening when I park in the garage. So I'm stickin with 37's.

Default parts book

Quote Originally Posted by poolmike
    I would really like 44's, but the canvas just scuffs the garage opening when I park in the garage. So I'm stickin with 37's.
    Garage?? You can actually park in yours?? Man, you don't have enough stuff!!

Rich

Well, a buddy of mine has his '68 GTO in my garage. I disassembled it, had the chassis blasted, painted it w/POR15, and reassembled w/ all new bushings, disc brakes etc... By July I should have the fresh motor/trans back and the body back on, then its off to the body shop. THEN ol' rusty gets her garage back. Mike

Let me know what it feels like...bought the house in '95, had one car in there for about 2 weeks, ain't seen a vehicle in it since. 2 car garage, too!

Rich
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

10. Default

2 Car Garage = 7 Motorcycle Garage(1 0ld Beemer mid restoration, 6 riders) M715 sits outside
    I am gonna buy her a Carport soon!
    1969 M715