Thread: Oil Pan Gasket

Default Oil Pan Gasket

Hello,

I was hoping a member here could lead me in the right direction for an oil pan gasket for my '67 M725. It has the stock 230 in it and it runs great. I heard that the military oil pan gaskets are wider than the civilian J-series oil pan gaskets. Is this true?

Al

I just went through this same thing last week. I ordered one off ebay and got the civilian version by mistake. I discovered the wafer board sides fit just fine, holes lined up perfectly, but the half-moon shaped end pieces are thinner on the civilian version. I wound up cleaning the devil out of the old ones, adding some mega-black seal maker and reusing them. The rope seal, the lower half of the rear main seal, is the tricky part to get seated properly. Time will tell if I did it right. There is a guy on ebay "Rons house of gaskets" (something like that) that says he has the right set available for about 28 bucks.

Default Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by fng View Post
    I just went through this same thing last week. I ordered one off ebay and got the civilian version by mistake. I discovered the wafer board sides fit just fine, holes lined up perfectly, but the half-moon shaped end pieces are thinner on the civilian version. I wound up cleaning the devil out of the old ones, adding some mega-black seal maker and reusing them. The rope seal, the lower half of the rear main seal, is the tricky part to get seated properly. Time will tell if I did it right. There is a guy on ebay "Rons house of gaskets" (something like that) that says he has the right set available for about 28 bucks.
    I bought a civy and a military set and compared them, little difference. See this thread. Wonder why your's wasn't correct?

Tornado block info
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

In Europe I have no source for an oil pan gasket. But it seems that most of the parts can be home made with the propper material.
    Wolf

Hey Ron, I had read that post before actually. Without comparison pictures of my own to show you it's hard to describe what I got and what was already installed. First the rear seal wasn't "ear-ed" like the one pictured in the thread, the ones I got (still have) are plain ole' semicircles. And the bases of the seals (fore and aft) were thinner than the grooved sealing surface of the filler block groove they were meant to seal against. Just plain ole' didn't fit. Also they didn't have the reinforced boss area's to fit into the fillers either.
    I was able to clean the originals with some gasoline to remove the accumulated rust from the oilpan and get the sludge off the inner face from a previously leaking main seal. And after a thourough cleaning of the filler block itself I applied a liberal dose of mega black to all the rubber parts that needed to stick and put some rebuilders lube on the rope seal, now that was a trick to have both stick-um and oil on the same piece to be installed without mixing the two!!!
    Anyway, got it done and bolted up the lower half of the engine. Just got the head back on two days ago. Finishing up the brakes before I finish bolting up the intake, exhaust and the ancillary stuff to the engine. Time consuming and tedious but I'm trying to be as meticulous as I can. I'll take some new pic's this next week and post a progress report.