Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What did I get myself into!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel
    Try blowing air into #4 cyl and see if it comes out of #5.

Can head gaskets still be found for these things?? AB Linn?

Super idea mike!!!!!!!!!!! That way I could listen to the valves in #4 to see if its leaking
    Thanks everybody for all the ideas and so fast!

Default USA6x6 UPDATE!! Racking fracking S-O-B.

See if you can make sure the piston of the plughole you're blowing into is up on the compression stroke that way you'll KNOW that it's valves are closed AND the forced air will instantly tranfer, if the gaskets blown, to the other cylinder.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Did you already check your valve adjustment? A long shot, but if they have no clearance on your bad cylinders, that would hold the valve open, killing compression.

Default 18 Days

As spicer said, make sure both (or at least one) of the cylinders are in the compression cycle. If you have the valve cover already off, you should be able to see that very easily.

Default A Million Thanks effort for our Military personnel

Just got home from work and am going to try to get down to check it out. I sure hope its that simple and not a bad rod or rings. Will let you all know what I find out asap. :!: :!:

Default I WILL BE AT THE FE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Its not the valves and I cant tell If its the head gasket or the rings : I talked to my brotherinlaw who is a mechanic by trade and he seems to think it might be stuck rings. Now I have a last shot plan . I filled all the pistons with marvel mystery oil and will let that sit over night. After work tomorrow I will reassemble everything and try to start her and let her run for awhile maby beat on her for a bit in the back lot . After that I will pour water in the carb to try to clean it out a bit. Then when that fails I will spend the next month cleaning out the garage so I can pull the head and get a better look at things . Man I wish I could just drive her

I think I got a head gasket from napa for around $100.

cAN'T REMEMBER WHERE, BUT i BOUGHT A PISTON FOR $30, SOME OTHERS WANTED $100 PER PISTON, SO SHOP AROUND.
    cap locks...Grrrr
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

8. Default

Doug- Are you kidding? $100 for a Head Gasket? My engine is running good, but I still see a GM350 in my distant future. I'll wait till the 230 craps.
    1969 M715

Why would you ever pour water down the carburator? That can only lead to hydro lock

Default Made it to the Lima jamboree!!

If you pour it slowly, it will clean the carbon out of the cylinders. Think of it like steam cleaning the engine from the inside. Hydro locking is bad, I've seen/heard it done. If you are careful, I've heard it works wonders. Never brought myself to try it though.....