Thread: Self tuning electronic fuel injection: FiTech

Default Self tuning electronic fuel injection: FiTech

At this point in life, I'm not really loving carbeurated engines after being spoiled by fuel injection on every vehicle I've owned for like the last thirty years. The vintage quadrajet carb I have now needs work, runs rich and isn't really that easy for me to tune. I'm considering pulling the trigger on a self tuning EFI system for my mostly-stock mid 70's SBC 350 in the ambulance. I'm looking at the FiTech Go Street 400hp kit.

Yes, I know the 21st century circuitry in this set up means the ambulance won't be running after an EMP attack, but the on-line user testimonials about these systems reliability, immediate starting, self tuning attributes, less unburnt fuel out the tail pipe and maybe even a little boost in fuel efficiency sounds compelling enough to overlook the post EMP failure.

I know fuel delivery is a key part of these systems working well. I'm still using the stock M725 tank and I installed a return bulkhead fitting into the top of the tank when it was out of the vehicle. I'm reading that the in tank EFI pump crowd says thats the only way to go, but thats more of a commitment than I wanted to make as it involves a big new hole in the tank and sinking lot of stuff and parts inside the tank - so I'm considering using a engine compartment mounted FiTech G-surge pump and sump system for EFI fuel delivery.

Any experience with the self tuning EFI setups out there? Looks like there are 8-10 manufacturers making them now.

This is what I'm considering: https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/fif-33003

Cheers,
    Bryce
    1969 M725 ambulance

This is going to sound very snobbish. Look at products made by a company that is most likely to still be around 30 years from now. You are going to need parts such as O-rings, connectors, possibly a pump, etc... Or, do the junkyard GM throttle body thing.

I think all of the current self learning efi kits out there are amazing. That is why I suggested look at the long term maintenance aspect of the swap. Because they will all get you pretty much the same performance once set up.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I know a little about this. I converted to F.I. several years ago and used all GM (wrecking yard parts) over the counter parts. Check out binderplanet,com.
    on the forums list near the bottom is a how to "injection tech" or something like that. Lots of pictures, part numbers, and schematics ect. It is moderated by Bill Howell, one of the developing engineers for GM. Take it step by step and it's really pretty simple......Al

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/i...rt-here.47254/
    I had to google it, as the regular .com wouldn't pull up for some reason. I love the TBI system.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

I put concern for EMP only slightly above preparedness for an actual zombie horde...

My 351w with stock EFI runs off an external electric pump bolted to the frame. I forget the brand, but one of the common aftermarket ones. No problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post
    My 351w with stock EFI runs off an external electric pump bolted to the frame. I forget the brand, but one of the common aftermarket ones. No problems.
    A friend of mine is rather obsessed with EMPs and I helped him build a diesel M715. I told him that in the event of an EMP, thousands of hungry and desperate people would try to kill him so they could take the only running vehicle in the area...

Strangely enough, I seem to have that market cornered in my neighborhood

Default EMPs

I'm not really that obsessed with the EMP's, though after reading about them (and if you are interested, theres the fictional book One Second After with a forward by Newt Gingrich and anther defense department think tank guy) it does seem like one of the most damaging forms of terrorism.
    Back to the self-tuning EFI bit. I hear you Barrman about choosing the right manufacturer to provide the best chance for long term parts availability and support. FiTech seems to be selling lots of these because their system is the least expensive- but that may not be the best reason to buy their product.
    Bryce
    1969 M725 ambulance