Thread: electric fuel pump overheating

Default electric fuel pump overheating

Just installed new 24 volt fuel pump. Pulls gas into filter between tank and pump.
    Pushes fuel to filter in front of carb. Truck starts ,runs 60 seconds. pump over heats and shuts down.
    any ideas?
    This pump was from eBay. Says fits M715,M37,M725 ect. 24volt

I've noticed some pumps are being listed compatible for vehicles, but some are only supposed to run a short time, they are lift pumps for things like generators, they only need to work long enough to prime a system, then the actual engine takes over.

If that is not the case, then the pump is bad...or you need to double check wiring and flow direction.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Is the pump mounted close to the tank?, electric pumps push fuel better than they pull, Is the wire to the pump heavy enough? Make sure you have a good ground, I had one getting hot, turned out to be a bad ground. Hope this helps. Hambone

Also, make sure your suction point is clear. The pickups on these tanks have a filter that resembles the stainless scouring pad my mom used for dishes, and yours could be plugged with rust flakes, etc.

I don't know much about an electric pump. But I thought that the fuel was what was cooling it. So, maybe the recommendations above may be the key?

WAG- maybe it's a FI pump, and expecting continuous flow through the return, so deadheading against a carb overheats it?

Got any ID off the pump?

I looked at some of the pumps listed as being for M715s and all of them I saw seemed to have too high a pressure rating for carbs. The lowest ones were 5.5 to 9 psi. Some as high as 14.
    Were the old Holleys more tolerant of fuel pressure? I thought all carbs liked 4 to 6 psi and more than 6.5 would blow past the needle valve.

Not saying that's the problem, if it was flooding out from over pressure the pump would still be running after or when it died. (don't know if it's wired through an oil pressure switch)

I did see one made by Facet that didn't have an onboard controller. One pump per power cycle and the vehicle is supposed to have a controller that cycles the power as needed. But that one didn't specifically say it was for an M715, just surplus.

Can you tell I'm kinda bored today...