Thread: Spare Truck

Default Spare Truck

Anyone have some input on what a guy should keep off of an old parts truck. I am in the middle of a build and have what is left of a really rusty donor truck.
    I planned on keeping the axles and bed as large items, the rest is just small stuff that I took off for spares or to help a fellow builder out if they are missing something. I am at a bit of a toss-up even keeping the bed and axles, not sure if that is stuff I could sell if I decided to or if people are even looking for those things.

I don't want to scrap a frame and crappy cab if there are things on it that people would want or something I am overlooking that I should keep for myself.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Check the wanted section. Someone, somewhere was just looking for a bed.
    If I had a rolling frame and wasn't worried about originality, I might put a J series cab on it and have the best of both worlds. Minus the speed, of course. Just thinking out loud...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    1968 M-715 w/1100R16s on Stockton wheels, H3 headlights, 2bbl upgrade...

I have a ton of spare parts and rarely sell from my horde.

I just try to keep at least two of everything. Literally.

When it comes to bulky items like cabs and beds, though, I usually take the important pieces and parts: fender flares, rocker panels, 8’ bed floors, tailgates, etc.

It all really depends on where, and how you can store stuff without causing deterioration of parts, and, of course, some don’t want the yard to end up looking too much like wrecking yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great advice, guys. I started taking pics of the extra items and will probably post to the wanted ads. I see you guys talking about Fastenal to ship stuff. Never heard of that but may come in handy for things like the battery box, radiator, and other larger items. Is there a trick on how that works?

Right now Fastenal seems to have stopped their Blue Lane Freight operations until further notice due to the virus. I've used them quite a bit. It's very easy, just fill put their form with drop off, weight, size, pick up location and such, less than a day later usually you get confirmation. Drop it off and then wait, they aren't the fastest but I've never had issues with them losing stuff. In fact I'm going to send my contact there an email and see if she knows when freight will open back up.

I heard back this morning. June 15 they will start up operations again but sounds like it will be limited to specific areas. She said June 15 you can submit shipping requests again.

Sounds good. I will check if I am in an area they do it in.